Windows Update policy

kitsants

Hi folks!

I'm not sure if this question has been asked by someone before because I couldnt find any thread discussing this, anyways here's my question: What's your strategy when it comes to installing Windows Update on JDE Servers/clients?Do you install them on a monthly, quarterly or as soon as it comes out? In my case I haven't installed any single Windows update on JDE servers since we installed JDE more than a year ago (probably because of the notion that it may break JDE
smile.gif
). Based on your experience, do you think I should be installing Windows Update on a regular basis or as per need basis?

Thanks in advance.

Kit

Hi,

I install them all except for Windows Service Packs,
IE upgrades (let's say from IE7 to IE8 or IE6 to IE7),
and SQL Server/MDAC related fixes. No trouble so far.

Kit

Our infrastructure guys take care of that. They apply patches monthly. Once a quarter, they take a full day (saturday) outage for major maintenance tasks. If an urgent patch comes out (like a flaming security hole), they take an extra outage. That doesn't happen very often.

- Gregg

Ditto on the regular patch installs. This is Windows we're talking about, so there are usually security problems of some kind being fixed on "Patch Tuesday."

As an added note, I don't update the server's version of IE anyway due to past issues of incompatibility with IE7 and the PeopleBooks search capability. I think this issue has been fixed with current PeopleBooks downloads, but I still don't do it out of habit.

Back