Oracle Set to buy Sun

It will also be interesting to see what happens to Oracle's partnership with HP, given that Oracle will soon own a direct hardware competitor to HP.

Oracle wanted Java - and they now own it.

My guess is that to appease all the hardware vendors (who would otherwise now view Oracle as a competitor) - they'll likely spin off the hardware portion of Sun - maybe so that IBM can pick it up ?

Without doubt, $7Bn is completely worth purchasing Sun given the fact that you get ALL rights behind Java. It might be overkill for Oracle to have done this - but it has strengthened every single application that Oracle owns now. Notice that almost every other tech company fell today after the announcement ? Everyone from Cisco to Apple fell in trading...

HOWEVER, what will the SEC make of this ? Larry will say its just getting into Hardware (of course, he's learned from past mistakes - he doesn't care about the hardware) - but the Monopolies commission will have to now look carefully at Oracles position in the marketplace...

I envisioned this two years ago. Everyone I told this too said I was nuts. I was in a biker bar at the time, so I should have considered my audience. I don't always think these things through wisely. Anyway, I received a black eye and a broken arm. Man those shots of Makers Mark were good.

Max

You're nuts....

Actually - I was wondering about how Oracle is going to upset SAP over Java licensing now. Luckily Java made their JDK Open Source in 2007 - so its now protected in the community - had that NOT happened, Larry could have just decided to stop companies like SAP from using Java unless they paid a fortune !!!

Back