User Mode to Kernal Mode and Back

jpjester

"When a user process runs a portion of the kernal code via a system call, the process temporarily becomes a kernel process and is in the kernel mode. While in kernel mode, the process will have root (i.e administrative) privileges and access to key system resources. The entire kernel, which is not a process but a controller of processes, executes only in kernel mode. When the kernel has satisfied the request by a process, it returns the process to user mode."

Does JD Edwards do this? or does JD Edwards completly run in User Mode 100% of the time?

I have had never seen the particular quote you posted regarding User to Kernel mode elevation during a system api call. At first I thought you were trying to complete some sort of audit questionnaire. I put your quote into google and found your own recent post here: http://www.dbforums.com/oracle/1640802-user-mode-kernal-mode-back.html

Seeing the additional information you posted on that Oracle forum I would suggest that in the future you give a bit more information and context to your questions on the jdeList. We can be of more help. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here but as far as I know we have no psychics in our group ;-)

Now, from reading your other post I understand that you are receiving ORA-04030 errors. Correct?

There are a lot of causes for ORA-04030. Often the problem can be addressed by adjusting Oracle memory configuration settings (versus just increasing physical memory) Take a look at Note 233869.1 on Metalink for a lot of tips to diagnose this error.

I am sure JDE makes some system API calls. Whether this has anything to do with Kernel versus User memory is a question that really needs to be posed directly to Oracle via a metalink support request. Only they could answer this question with certainty. That would also be the place to log your ORA-04030 issue.

Back