/3GB Switch Configuration Question

jpjester

Good Morning All,
We are currentling running 32-Bit Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition with 4 GigaByes of Ram. At the moment we are looking to fine tune our system somemore and with that said we are looking at the /3GB Switch. Thus meaning we are looking to reset the memory limit to 3GB instead of the defauly 2GB. From what I have found on 32-Bit versions of Windows, the /3Gb parameter enables 4-gigabyte random access memory tuning, a feature that enlarges the user-mode virtual address space to 3 GB and restricts the kernal-mode components to the remaining 1 GB. Oracle has suggested we do this in order to resolve some "Out of Memory" error messages we are recieving.

My question for you guys is what is being run on the User-Mode Virtual Address Space? What is being run on the Kernal-Mode? I want to make sure I am not going to be restricting the wrong processes.

We have had the 3GB switch set on our ES box for years. This is a Win 2003 ES with 6GB ram. Until recently this box housed both the Oracle DB as well as the JDE ES services. With up to 120 concurrent users we never ran into memory issues with that setup.

Hi,

The /3Gb switch may solve your problems; but I humbly
think that in the middle or long term, you should be
separating database server from application server.

The cheapest and easiest solution would be to move
your Oracle database server to a Win-64 bit box and
leave JDE application server on the Win-32 bit box.

If you are allowed a generous budget, then you should
probably think moving from Windows to some UNIX flavour.

[ QUOTE ]
We have had the 3GB switch set on our ES box for years. This is a Win 2003 ES with 6GB ram. Until recently this box housed both the Oracle DB as well as the JDE ES services. With up to 120 concurrent users we never ran into memory issues with that setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are going to be implimenting the change next week. We are currently running a 32 Bit Operating System, so we are eager to see if this /3GB Parameter Switch helps with our errors.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

The /3Gb switch may solve your problems; but I humbly
think that in the middle or long term, you should be
separating database server from application server.

The cheapest and easiest solution would be to move
your Oracle database server to a Win-64 bit box and
leave JDE application server on the Win-32 bit box.

If you are allowed a generous budget, then you should
probably think moving from Windows to some UNIX flavour.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are viewing it as a short term fix. Right now we have JD Edwards and the Oracle DB on our Enterprise Server. We are currently doing some research to move the Oracle DB over to another server (64 Bit) to handle the Oracle load. Leaving the JD Edwards on the 32 Bit Operating System (Due to JD Edwards only being capatible wityh 32bit). For right now we want to get JD Edwards stable, we have had it since September of 2008 and are still fixing the bugs.

Back