WebSphere 6.1 ND

cnc__guy

cnc__guy

Well Known Member
WebSphere 6.1.x.x on AIX 32-bit, App Server on HPia64, DB is DB2 UDB running on AIX 64-bit. Deployment Server on Intel (yipee!).

Tools Release is 8.98.05 and of course App Version is 9.0.

I have a general question regarding a configuration I am trying to make work:

WebSphere Deployment Manager, WebSphere App Servers (Associated Nodes) and HTTP servers are all on different AIX machines.

Has anyone worked (gotten to work) a similar environment and more specifically gotten it to work with Server Manager?

Would love to hear some 'stories'.

Thanks,
James

While I have not gotten this specific configuration (using *nix) working there is no reason why it will not work. My standard design is WAS ND on the Deployment Server (along with Server Manager), WAS clustered nodes for Production and a WAS node for non-production. All WAS nodes are federated into the WAS ND profile.

Having the HTTP server on separate boxes is a bit unnecessary unless the user numbers are pretty high/the load is very heavy or it is your organization's policy/there is an existing, dedicated "HTTP" server for all apps. A separate HTTP server is pretty easy to manage from the Integrated Services/WAS console so that's not a big deal. The big deal is making all of this work in Server Manager.

Any configuration other than which Denver considers standard is a big workaround in SM. By standard I mean a single WAS box that either does not use ND or runs ND in addition to being the WAS App Server and the HTTP server. Their assumptions of what constitutes a "standard" configuration are not reality-based.

It is a difficult task but not impossible. Your guiding document is 8.97 Clustering Best Practices on WebSphere 6.0/6.1, found on whatever Oracle is calling their support website this month.

The design I described earlier as my standard web setup that used to take me a couple/three days to configure, including the Simplified URL methods I describe here, now takes five days due to the "improvements" in Server Manager.

[ QUOTE ]
WebSphere 6.1.x.x on AIX 32-bit, App Server on HPia64, DB is DB2 UDB running on AIX 64-bit. Deployment Server on Intel (yipee!).

Tools Release is 8.98.05 and of course App Version is 9.0.

I have a general question regarding a configuration I am trying to make work:

WebSphere Deployment Manager, WebSphere App Servers (Associated Nodes) and HTTP servers are all on different AIX machines.

Has anyone worked (gotten to work) a similar environment and more specifically gotten it to work with Server Manager?

Would love to hear some 'stories'.

Thanks,
James

[/ QUOTE ]

brother_of_karamazov, I have a question on your standard WAS setup. From what I understand you have:

DEPSERVER: ND and SM
WEBSERVER1: PD_clustermember, PD_clustermember
WEBSERVER2: PD_clustermember, DV, PY

Do you use one HTTP Server and which server do you install it on? I had success on this configuration, do you see any potential issues:

WEBSERVER1: ND, HTTP, Plug-in
WEBSERVER2: PD_clustermember, PD_clustermember
WEBSERVER3: WAS61 Standalone, DV, PY

I am still trying to get the PD_cluster to work in SM though.

Thanks

Back