Missing Development Objects

sashton

sashton

Reputable Poster
We have noticed that when developers install a pushed Full DV package to their Fat Client, if they have the development objects loaded, the pushed package does not install the deve objects. Do you have to pull full DV packages in order to get DEV objects installed or is there a step we are missing in the assembly/build/deploy process?

Steven,

I have found it to be a best practice to let my developers "pull" their packages. If I did a mandatory "push" of the DV package, and they had some objects that they had not checked in or saved to the "save directory", than the push would overright their work. In my experience, pushed packages push out the production objects only. They don't push out the development objects. So in my opinion, your missing step is to require the developers to be more self service orientated. What you could do (my practice) is to update a test terminal server with the latest DV code (for appleads to do testing), and then whenever you build and deploy a new package, send your developers an email notification. Then they can decide how often to update their client.

Gregg

Gregg,

Thanks for the response and I agree with your approach. I am still interested in knowing if there is actually something that controls this though. I can swear in the past that this appeared to work. Thanks again, Gregg.

Not sure what others think but I do not do Development packages. I assume that if developers want an object or objects on their machine that they can do a checkout or a Get.

I imagine that it is possible this means that eventually developers will have some pretty out-of-date code on their fat client but Development full package deployments should be very carefully managed including running scripts to determine objects and versions checked out to ensure that fat client-developed objects do not become what we euphemistically refer to as "orphaned".

I let developers handle their own objects on the fat client and only rarely deploy a full Development package. I would never consider pushing or otherwise forcing a package on developers, including making the package mandatory.

[ QUOTE ]
We have noticed that when developers install a pushed Full DV package to their Fat Client, if they have the development objects loaded, the pushed package does not install the deve objects. Do you have to pull full DV packages in order to get DEV objects installed or is there a step we are missing in the assembly/build/deploy process?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, missed your follow-up. Feel free to ignore my first post.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gregg,

Thanks for the response and I agree with your approach. I am still interested in knowing if there is actually something that controls this though. I can swear in the past that this appeared to work. Thanks again, Gregg.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I let developers handle their own objects on the fat client and only rarely deploy a full Development package. I would never consider pushing or otherwise forcing a package on developers, including making the package mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you could, but only if you REALLY REALLY dislike your devlopers....

Look on Metalink3 for this document:
JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools Release 8.97 Web Development Client Installation for (your web flavor)

The webdev objects have to be packaged, and are not included in a full build.

Back