run without Deployment server?

lvtv

We are planning some system requirements and I was asked if we can run JDE (we are on Xe and Citrix with several fat clients) as normal with the Deployment server down. What would be the ramifications of no deploy server for a day or two?
Our databases are on other servers.

As far as I know the only thing this would prevent you from doing is checking in/out objects. You should check to see where your media objects and peoplebooks are located though, as I think sometimes those are installed on the deployment server.

Dave

LVTV,

Dave is correct - the deployment server can be offline without a major impact, assuming that the media objects are located on a different server. By default, the media objects are located on the deployment server. Moving the media objects is easy. Do a full copy of the directories, set up the appropriate network and sharing permissions.

From a setup perspective, change the paths in the Media Object Queues. That can be found here:

Foundation Systems > OneWorld Tools > Media Objects > Media Object Queues

One suggestion to improve a systems robustness, move the Media objects to a clustered server. In our case, our clustered server has the nodes in two different buildings, giving us high availibility and a good disaster recovery plan.

Gregg

Hi.

Also commento out the serverhelppath and explorerurlhome entries of the jde.ini in the workstations, or set them to another machine. If not, you will notice a great lag when open each application in fat clients

Hi lvtv,

Though I am not a CNC guy, Just In Time Install can cause problems, when somebody first time open an application on a client. If the deployed packages were built with "Full Spec" option, then this is not a problem.

Regards,

Zoltán

Back