Full Egeneration?

• Thread starter brother_of_karamazov
  • Start date
We only do it when we deploy a full PD package to try to give our users the best performance, even though the hit is only when the application is accessed for the first time. It only takes a few clicks to kick off the full gen so I figure why not.

Hey Jeff

Nice article. You wrote it with 8.12 in mind, but it is also applicable for us XE guys as well. I am in the process of changing from the blue stack team to the red stack team. In theory, the F98998 and F98999 tables for a websphere web server are supposed to be different than the the F98998 and F98999 tables for an OAS box. Your article just showed me a method of setting that up to test it out. Thanks!

Gregg

I have had a few clients who complained that some objects weren't being generated after the update package was deployed, and that doing a bulk generation was the only way to fix that. These clients were all on 8.96.x, and I haven't heard anything similar about 8.97 or 8.98.

The auto-generation after a full package seemed to be OK though, and they didn't complain about the performance hit when everything had to be generated on the fly.

It is a great concept. I think CNC's more experienced with Tools Releases older than 8.96 do it by habit and comfort. Personally, I refuse to do full gens!

[ QUOTE ]
It is a great concept. I think CNC's more experienced with Tools Releases older than 8.96 do it by habit and comfort. Personally, I refuse to do full gens!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold up there cowboy! there's more to it than that. Partial gens work as long as your environment is conducive to building update packages. Update packages are effective in smaller environments where there is not a lot of development (or in a large environment with extreme change control management).

When you scale things up to a big shop, like the one I work at, you have lots of ongoing development, lots of developers, developers in mutiple locations. My environment supports five countries, with developers and appleads scattered over four time zones. Our practice (on XE, and down the road on 9.0) is to build full packages. This way I sweep ALL of the development changes into the package. That being said, I still build update packages for requests that can't wait until the next round of package builds. My developers don't have to worry about forgetting to tell me about a project that they are working on, forcing me to build a special package.

Jeff's blog idea of swapping tables is the way that we will go down the road.

Gregg "old guy" Larkin

I understand you typically do Full Packages... but do you do Full Generations as well? The edge taken off the users from my experience is not really significant compared to just letting Auto Generation do its thing. If I had users complaining enough I suppose I would start to do Full Generations as well. It's a waste of my time.

Since 8.12 I haven't done a single manual generation. I don't even have an eGen machine... It works perfectly, slightly slower startup times for users after a full package, but nothing that you would really notice. Update packages work perfectly as well.

Back