Adobe causing File/URL attachment problems

DSauve

DSauve

Legendary Poster
We have recently started install Adobe Acrobat 9 Standard Edition on our PC's. Now when we try to attach a PDF file as a File/URL attachment, the system just sits there doing nothing for 1 to 2 minutes, and then reports an error that "There is a problem With Adobe Acrobat/Reader. Please exit Adobe Acrobat/Reader and try again." I'm attaching a copy of the error message.

Has anyone else run into this kind of behavior?

FYI, we're on fat clients, but I also had problems viewing these attachments on web clients.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 144343-Adobe PDF error.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 85
My apologies if this sounds like a stupid question, but did you uninstall all previous instances of Acrobat before you installed 9? I have found in the past that Acrobat really doesn't like it when a previous version exists before I install a new one.

You just got hosed by the Acrobat reader 9.0 bug.

Doesn't work at all. Just install it and go back to version 8.0 or 7.0.

If you google the error you'll see pages and pages of references to this bug.

I checked not so long ago and there was no fix available.

Colin

Ken and Colin,

Thank you both for your replies. As Ken suggested, I did indeed have multiple versions of Acrobat Reader installed. I cleaned all of that up and only installed Acrobat 9 Standard, but the problem still persisted. Then I installed Acrobat Reader 9, but the problem still persisted. So, as Colin pointed out, it appeared to be a version 9 problem. Since we still needed Acrobat 9 Standard for business reasons, I ended up doing the following and JDE now works correctly:

- Installed Acrobat 9 Standard
- Installed Acrobat Reader version 8.x, and told the install to make this reader version my default application to open PDF's

Kudos to JDEList members Ken and Colin for your help. Maybe someday Adobe will get their act together and actually fix this problem.

Hi

I have additional information on this problem. There are 2 bugs reported for this problem and fixed accordingly
as follows:
For 8.x / 9.0, this issue is reported in BUG:8880188. Installing a Tools Release level update at 898.3.0 or later will resolve this issue.

For Xe/ERP8.0, this issue is reported in SAR BUG:8945278 and fixed in Tools Release SP24.1.1

You can find more details in a doc-id 793391.1 available in Oracle:
E1:MOBJ: Error on PDF Media Object Attachment When Using Adobe 9.0 (Doc ID 793391.1)

Regards,
Kenneth

Back