Printing W2 and 1099 - ink requirements

Pat_H

Hello, we want to use CreateForm to print our W2's and 1099's this year instead of printing them on preprinted forms. I received the templates from bottomline and after several adjustments I think I'm ready to print. We're printing W2's and the 1099 Misc Copy B and C forms. I'm wondering if anyone who has used Create Form to print these forms in the past knows for sure if I need to print them using "special ink" such as MICR ink or if I can just print them using normal ink. Thanks in advance and happy new yr.

I have used Cform to print these documents and it works great! I don't believe there are toner requirements. Looking through the IRS website (http://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw2w3/ar01.html#d0e320), the only specific info they have regarding printing the forms is;

Common Errors on Forms W-2

Forms W-2 provide information to your employees, the SSA, the IRS, and state and local governments. Avoid making the following errors, which cause processing delays.

Do not:

* Omit the decimal point and cents from entries.
* Use ink that is too light to make entries. Use only black ink.
* Make entries that are too small or too large. Use 12-point Courier font, if possible.
* Add dollar signs to the money-amount boxes. They have been removed from Copy A and are not required.
* Inappropriately check the “Retirement plan” checkbox in
box 13. See Retirement plan on page 13.
* Misformat the employee's name in box e. Enter the employee's first name and middle initial in the first box, his or her surname in the second box, and his or her suffix (optional) in the third box.

Karen.

Back