Multiple database lookups with Create!director

KSwaeby

KSwaeby

Reputable Poster
Hello -

I have been asked to configure a Cdirector project that will need to do multiple lookups. I have a Cdirector project that does email address lookup but only for one address. I now need to configure something to perform multiple lookups and want to see if anyone has done something similar to this.

We want the CformServer to email "groups" of users when a revision to a Sales Order occurs. There are multiple locations (BranchPlants) and each has a different set of users that need to receive notification. We are trying to keep the maintenance of "email notification groups" within JDE so the users have the ability to update the notification group.

We talked about having the members of the email groups in a UDC table; each record having the BranchPlant (the location they belong to) and the AddressBook number of the user that needs to receive notification. The lookup in the Cdirector project would take the BranchPlant form the JDE PDF, lookup the user AddressBook # in the UDC tabkle and then perform a 2nd lookup to the Who's Who file to get the email address. The lookup would need to repeat for all records in the table that have that BranchPlant number.

I have lookup working for single email address but will now need to "loop" down through the UDC table records to find multiple email address. Has anyone done this type of configuration with Cdirector?

We are running software/versions;
Cdirector v6 6.3.0.8208
CformServer v6 6.3.0.8208
Cemail 6.3.0.8169
CformServer v3 3.2.23.7430

Karen.

LDAP Question

We are getting ready to install LDAP, now I have question, if we all go with web client for end users, do we really need LDAP?

thanks
Rice Test

UPDATE:

Cdirector does not have the ability to perform multiple look-ups easily. When a look-up is performed there is no way to tell it to repeat the look-up logic until end-of-file is reached. The look-up functionality can access multiple tables when doing the look-up. I have a project that does a look-up using two tables to retrieve the value needed.

The best solution to the configuration I needed was to move that "logic" to the RDA. Have the JDE program retrieve and print the multiple email addresses in the JDE PDF output. One meta-data variable containing a string of email addresses (separated by a comma or semi-colon). The Cdirector project uses that one meta-data variable as the TO: email address.

Thanks to Jeff Aizley (Bottomline Level 2 Support). His knowledge of the applications and advice on how best to implement is always excellent!

Karen.

Back