Upgrade two E1 As400 to V5R4 same time or separately - recommendations?

shurtle

We have one JDE EnterpriseOne 8.10 instance on 8.97.1 with two AS400 Enterprise/DB servers on V5R3. One server hosts DV/PY and the other hosts PD, system, and security. Oracle is recommending that we upgrade both servers at the same time. I would like to upgrade the DV/PY server first and then a week or two later, upgrade the PD server. I was also planning on leaving the client access at V5R3 until after bother servers are upgraded.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this separately? Any gotcha's we should look out for? I am looking at the latest APAR list.

I can understand why you might be apprehensive about upgrading both boxes at the same time, but I would follow Oracle's recommendation. We have our system configured similarly, although our situation is two LPARs on the same box, rather than two physically separate boxes. When we upgraded the box, we had to go to V5R4 on both partitions. We applied the latest CUM and didn't run into any issues.

There might be some differences in the SQL query engine between V5R3 and V5R4. I don't know if that might cause any issues with cross-system queries. Perhaps SQLGal will check in with some insight.

You should of course check with any third-party vendors, like Vertex, to make sure there are no issues with your release level and V5R4.

You can leave your client access at V5R3 without any issues. You may have to upgrade workstations that make use of plug-ins for iSeries Access.

Overall, our upgrade was smooth and painless.

Thanks for your feedback. Not the answer I was hoping for, but good to know.

Hi,

I'd recommend you to start upgrading both servers (or one
at a time) to V5R4 (or higher)
Once both servers are running V5R4, then you should
upgrade to 8.97
I had many troubles installing and running Tools 8.97.1.3
on V5R3, there were many PTFs missing that were not
included in JDE MTRs (but which are part of the standard
V5R4 functionality).

My 0.02 CAD, Sebastian

We are already on 8.97.1. Are you recommending that we upgrade to 8.97.1.3 after we complete the upgrade to V5R4?

Back