E1 9.0 local database choice

Alex_Pastuhov

Alex_Pastuhov

Legendary Poster
As we have all noticed, there are now two choices for the E1 9.0 local database on the Deployment Server.

There undoubtedly will be strong proponents of either choice, but what interests me is which choice will get more votes from the customer base: the more customers are on a given DB, the better it will be tested as a result and the fewer bugs one can expect to encounter when sticking with the given choice.

There will likely be very few actual installations at the customer sites at these early days, and many consultants may go Oracle local DB path just to test and see how it feels, so any preliminary votes may not really be indicative of the final distribution, yet I think it may be good to try to find out the most likely preferences in advance, hence this vote.

This is how I propose we vote:

- No matter whether you are responsible for the new installations or not;

- No matter whether you are a customer, consulting company, freelance consultant, or even just a visitor passing by;

- No matter if you are technical or not.

- No matter if you already have an E1 9.0 installation, planning on installing it shortly, later or even never.

Please select one option, the way you personally feel is best, for whatever reasons whatsoever.

My idea here is that the prevailing mood will probably ultimately decide which of these two choices will have the upper hand.

If you think that including everyone in the vote may distort the results because depending on the role you may have more or less say in what actually happens, then we can run another vote later on, amended as necessary.

So, here it goes:

BTW, I've made it short - until the 1st of October'08, so please vote at the first opportunity!

Customers can also choose to use SQL Server 2005, instead of SSE, in case they are worried about the 4GB limit of the database in SSE.

Thanks for the correction.

In this case, please consider the first option in this vote to include all and any MS options...

My guess is this is going to be a 50/50 split.

Too many companies have too much investment in Microsoft technologies - but a lot of AS/400 companies have been considering migrating to Oracle it seems recently (I've spoken to about 5 or 6 in the past month it seems)

Obviously the "access" to oracle products will become easier and more varied as 9.0 continues to be developed. I think Oracle will always continue to support Microsoft and IBM products - but they will attempt to make their product choices look more desirable to customers.

HOWEVER, Oracle on Microsoft is NOT Oracle on Unix/Linux !

Yes, this is what seems to be happening...

It's an interesting result too ;-)

So few voters - too early to tell?

I'm a pro Oracle Junkie - mostly because I can be adaptive to it on more than just a M$ Windoez platform... goodnesss!

(db)

Paradoxically, in this particular case, I'm pro-Microsoft ;-)

It's only open for another couple of days, so I hope there will be more votes soon! Please, vote!

Ok, the results are shaping up in a predictable manner now.

Here's a quote from Oracle, BTW:

"· Oracle Database 10g R2 Enterprise Edition –Customers should choose to use Oracle Database 10g R2 Enterprise Edition as thelocal database for the deployment server if they intend to standardize onOracle technology or if they are concerned about exceeding the 4 GB data limitwith Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express. Customers who choose to use OracleDatabase 10g R2 Enterprise Edition should note the minimum hardwarerecommendations above.

· Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition –Customers should choose to use Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Editions asthe local database for the deployment server for continuity with prior JDE E1Tools releases."

It appears on the MTR page for the Dep Servers.

The first statement seems a bit weak and out of place, as JDE has never exceeded this limit before and is generally not likely to in the foreseeable future. And the second one seems important enough - it looks like it hints at possible problems going to a brand new platform, at least the way I read it...

BTW, the new ESU's will now come with _TWO_ databases as well, I assume?

And do you need to upgrade your Deployment Server local Oracle database alongside your main database, if you were to need it? - probably yes. And this would probably start a chain reaction of upgrading the Oracle software installations on all Fat/Development/etc. clients.

This vote is running it's last hours, so if you haven't voted yet, please vote now!

Back