E1 9.0 Released

klwong

Legendary Poster
In case you haven't heard, it is now available for download from Oracle eDelivery.

The StandAlone comes in 2 different flavors: local Oracle database, or SQL Server Express 2005. As has been the case lately, the download files are HUGE. The 2 Oracle downloads total 2.3 GB in size. The 2 SQL Express downloads are about 1.7 GB.

And for those who don't know the requirements of the new Tools Release 8.98, any compiling jobs will need Visual Studio .NET 2005 SP1.

Enjoy!
smile.gif

Dawg - you bettered me to the punch by an hour...

I'm creating a new VM so I can go play!

(db)

I've been downloading almost all day - trying to get some bandwidth before everyone else jumps on !

This is great news. HOWEVER, a couple of words of warning...

1. Remember, please, this is a "dot zero" release. Don't consider upgrading to this for your production environment unless you have plenty of time prior to go live (like MONTHS !)

2. No, VMWare isn't supported for production environments either (!hee hee !)

I downloaded most of it yesterday and finished up the less important platform packs today.

One thing I will point out is that could have been 8.13...but superstitious people prevailed. The main thing I would consider a "dot zero" feature would be the local Oracle database on the deployment server (and that gets pushed out to the developer clients.) Personally, I will wait for the first or second major update rollup before putting it into production. By that time maybe 9.1 will be on the way.

Never forget that early adopters pave the way for the rest of us.

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I will point out is that could have been 8.13...but superstitious people prevailed.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the little bit that I have played with it, I would agree with that statement. It looks an awful lot like 8.12. I have attached a word doc with some screen shots from the demo version. (we downloaded and installed it yesterday)

Gregg

As you know, you'll get that "look and feel" with releases 8.10 and up if you apply Tools 8.98.

I got that 8.13 story from someone high up at Oracle during a cab ride in Vegas at last years Collaborate conference.

As you know, you can find bits and pieces of code from each and every release of OneWorld in 9.0. It is cumulative with new module functionality slapped on.

Download in progress -

Oh - the install doc (not followed, yet) is one of the cleaner Standalone
docs I've seen.

And a New Function - there are instructions within the install doc on how to
update to future tools releases (this is a win!). Question... does the same
tweak for the 9.0 toos updates work for previous standalones? I'll have to
play more and see.

(db)

--

They both worked for me. Did you find the one for the WebLogic install? Oh, wait...

I'm just going to do the full blown install, in, um, VMware Workstation.

Sometimes it helps to ask. Oh, and just repeat the old adage "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM". Blah blah blah.

We have a 550. It isn't that heavy, really.

I think you can pick up a p505 for a few thousand bucks, plus software costs, etc. Hey, I see one on eBay for $1850. ;-)

[ QUOTE ]

I'm just going to do the full blown install, in, um, VMware Workstation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I'm using VMWare Fusion - but thats because I run a Mac. I have a Win2K3 server, and it runs VMWare Server - which is 100% completely free !

I used to have an 8.12 standalone image for people - but looking at the 9.0 standalone, I think that Oracle has figured out that the standalone IS important, and they've sorted out the bugs that 8.12 standalone had. Much cleaner.

I thought the timing of the 9.0 release was interesting - a week before Openworld ? I hope that by rushing out the 9.0 release, they haven't skipped on QA...

{laughing hysterically...."QA !!!! LOL !")

Hi Daniel Bohner ,

I am able to open the Install guide that you provided. But that is for Standalone with Oracle Local

Do you find the install guide for Standalone with SQL local? I gave a shot at KG, no luck with me.

Thanks in advance

Gov,
The guide does explain the instructions for SSE (Sequel Server Express).
The change is OAS (Oracle Application Server) - I think that is what you
are questioning? OAS is the Web service for the Standalone.

(db)

--

Back