SQL TIME OUT ISSUE

bwilkinson

bwilkinson

Well Known Member
We recently upgraded to to SP23_U1 and SQL Server 2005.

Ever since we have been getting some time out issue's on our fat clients and have had some UBE's hang to do timeouts of the connection.

Usally on the Fat Clients we simply click retry a few times and it goes thru.

One thing I did notice it that the ODBC connections are still using the SQL Driver instead of the SQL Native Client does this make a differance?

has anybody else come across this?

Yes, all your ODBC connections should be converted to use the SQL Native Client.

The other thing to ask is whether or not you have applied any post-SP2 cumulative updates to SQL 2005. The current MTRs ask you to have cumulative update 6, and recommend whatever update is current (9, last I looked).

I believe SQL 2005 query timeout issues have been seen on these boards, and the cumulative update is supposed to help with that.

How do I go about updating the deployement server so that when I deploy new packages it uses the Sql Native CLient.

I know I can update clients by simply exporthing the reg keys from a fixed machine and reimport to other clients but it would be nice not to have to think about it.

Unfortunately, the best way to do this will require some effort on your part. First, the SQL Native Client should go on the Deployment Server as well.

Second, go to the Deployment Server, and log into the Planner environment. Go to the System Admin menu and run the Database Data Sources application. At this point, you can use whichever source you want: Local, System, or Server Map.

For each data source that is now on SQL 2005, Select it, then hit OK (you should not need to modify it at all). After hitting OK, you will be asked if you want to modify the ODBC entry automatically, manually, or skip it. You will want to edit it manually.

Modify the ODBC to use the SQL Native Client, and fill in the rest appropriately. It shouldn't have to change much as the first part (choosing the driver) is the important part.

When you hit the final OK button, the parameters you filled in modify the file ODBCDataSource.INF. You can find this file under the Client directory of your Deployment Server's B7 share. Whenever a fat client takes a package, whether it is a full or an update package, one of the last steps will be to change the client's ODBC entries to match what is in the ODBCDataSource.INF file.

Repeat for the other SQL 2005 data sources, and you should not have to worry about this again, until the next set of data you move over. Since the data source entries on the Local, System and Server Map sides should be the same as each other, you should not have to go back and repeat your modifications.

At this point, the Deployment Server's ODBC entries should have been modified, and the file taking care of the clients on a package install has been taken care of. The only machine left is your Enterprise Server. If you don't want to repeat all your ODBC mods, this would be a good time to do the registry export, and merge them with any Windows servers running JDE services.

looks like I have some work to do, I will make the changes and let you know how I make out.

Back