Transfer Work Order Data To An External System

Mo Sid

Hello All,

We have a requirement to transfer Work Order data to an external system, and we are currently exploring ways to accomplish this task.

I was thinking about using Table Conversion to write the data contained in table F4801 to a flat file. Has anyone done this in the past? If so then could you please share your approach on how this was done. Thanks!

Also, besides the Table Conversion approach could anyone suggest any more efficient alternative approach? Thanks in advance!

There are many different ways to do this, but you didn't specify your platform or database, so I will give you some general possibilities.

The first question to consider is "Where is the trigger/event happening that needs the data?"
- If the event is in JDE, I would think about a custom UBE that writes out a text file in a format the external system can use. (Table Conversions are typically used on incoming data to JDE for validation and formatting purposes and may be overkill here.) Another more elegant solution would be to create a JDE datasource that sees the external tables and create a UBE that does a direct update.
- If the answer is the external system, does it have tools available to pull the data from F4801 as needed?

All of this is subject to tools/skills available and, as always, security and audit requirements.

Jer

Hi,

Thanks for providing your insight and providing some general possibilities.

FYI: JDE platform is AS/400 and the database is DB/400, and the event that needs JDE WO data is happening on an external system (possibly Win 2K3 Server).

Would you/anyone happen to know of any solution or an approach (preferably using built-in JDE integration capabilities) that accomplishes the following tasks:

1) Notifies an external system that a WO has been entered in JDE and sends the WO data automatically to that external system

2) External system updates WO data, sends updated data to JDE and JDE automatically updates WO

Thanks in advance!

Back