Update table data from Excel

Sri2008

Is there a way to update the data in a custom table based on an Excel file.
1. Table Conversion
2. Save the Excel file into CSV/Text file and write a UBE to read the CSV/Text file and update the table
3. Is they any other way to read excel and update Table in JDE.

Thanks
Sri

JDE XE/B7333, Oracle 9i

Here are some options that I've seen:

-Use MS Access to read the excel file and update the JDE custom table via ODBC.(Anytime you set up an ODBC that a user can manipulate on their PC you need to think through the security issues involved)

-Link the table through ODBC into Excel so that updating the spreadsheet updates the table. (Same security as the first idea.)

-Save the file to the server and have a sql program do the work.

-Save the file to the server and have another Table Conversion do the work.

-Create a custom app that allows you to import the excel file and then update the table from the import. Or don't use Excel at all just create a custom app.

Steven

Steve,
Thanks for the reply. Currently the users are accessing JDE tables to update the data using Macros. They are quite happy with Excel functionality as it is quick and easy. We would like to keep the users happy, they can manipulate the data in excel but instead of using the macros to update tables, we would like to create JDE programs to do that. Is there any way/business function that can be used to read excel file directly into JDE.

Thanks
Sri - JDE XE/B7333, Oracle 9i

Back