Issue running BAT file to copy JDE.INI to \WINNT for login

WinPrice

WinPrice

Issue running BAT file to copy JDE.INI to \\WINNT for login

Some of my customers use both PRD and NONPRD environments on their DEV clients. Since all are multifoundation, we have BAT files set up on the desktop that they can use to log in to E1, ensuring the right JDE.INI pointing to the right port on the enterprise server for the login.

What happens, starting at 8.97, is that there are JAS logs that get created on the desktop. There are 4 per login. After a while, as you can imagine, these add up and have to be deleted regularly. I have gone to the jdelog.properties for the WebDev config to make sure those point to a defined path, but it doesn't seem to be controlled by this file.

I can't figure it out. My BAT file is simple. If you just use the normal shortcut to activConsol.exe, they don't get created.

Here it is:

del c:\WINNT\jde.ini
copy c:\WINNT\jdeini\nonprd\jde.ini c:\WINNT

call D:\B7\SYSTEM\BIN32\activconsole.exe
exit

I'm sure some of you may be using a similar task to change the port you access, so have you seen this at 8.97?

Thanks,
Winston

Re: Issue running BAT file to copy JDE.INI to \\WINNT for login

I'm not 100% certain, but I would change

call D:\B7\SYSTEM\BIN32\activconsole.exe

to

D:\B7\SYSTEM\BIN32\activconsole.exe

To the best of my knowledge, CALL applies only to batch applications, that is, BAT and CMD files. It's not used with executables (maybe you're thinking of START).

Thanks Bill. I am just looking for suggestions, so I will try that. I would just use snapshot, but we do the same solution on our deployment servers.

I'll post up my results.

It looks like I got the same issue, and the logs still get created on the desktop.

The interesting thing about this process is that if I run these commands from the command prompt individually, the logs do not get created!

Yeah, that makes no sense does it?

One other thing I thought of -- maybe activconsole.exe doesn't like not being in the correct start folder. I noticed that my desktop shortcut has the startup directory set to C:\B7 (D:\B7 on your system). You might want to add a line to change to that folder before starting activconsole.exe. You can use the old, tried and true:

D:
CD \B7

or you can use this:

pushd D:\B7

This pushes the current directory on a stack, and then does a chdir to the specified directory. At the end of your batch, add:

popd

This pops the stored directory off the stack, and then does a chdir to it.

This would make sense, since if you're running your batch file from the desktop, then the current directory is the desktop. Thus, the logs wind up on the desktop, whereas normally they'd be in the \B7 folder.

Bill, you know, that's not a bad idea. I'll give that a shot. It makes sense that it's thinking the desktop is the startup directory.

I used the first option and that worked. Thanks a bunch!

Back