The ZEN and Art of Database Maintenance

m@dm@x

m@dm@x

Well Known Member
All,
It has come to my attention that we have not been Re-indexing and compressing our databases here. Do any of you have a set of procedures that you run on the AS/400. I know this has been mentioned before on in other sections of the forum but I thought this thread would be better served here.

Max

We have an iSeries precisely so we don't have to re-index or compress. Maybe a REORG once in a while, but no re-indexing or compressing is required.

Not really. You can see the reorganization commands by typing GO CMDRGZ at the command prompt. There are 2 options you'd be concerned with: Reorganize Physical File Member and Start Disk Reorganization. The first option removes deleted records and compresses the member, and optionally reorganizes the member (physically puts it in primary key order). Removing deleted records and compressing the member may not have much effect, if the file is delete-capable (JDE tables are set this way by default, meaning deleted records are reused), or if there have never been a significant number of records deleted from the member (so there is very little allocated, but unused, space).

Your mileage may vary, of course, but we don't do reorganizations with any regularity -- they're pretty rare.

Thanks Bill. I'll talk to my 400 admin to see if there is a way to do this against a whole library.

Max

Maxxxxx....

What problem are you trying to solve?

Some of these processes can be very "expensive", may I ask - why are you asking?

**That Was Zen, This Is Tao

Jen

[ QUOTE ]
Maxxxxx....

What problem are you trying to solve?

Some of these processes can be very "expensive", may I ask - why are you asking?

**That Was Zen, This Is Tao

Jen

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess comming from a MS SQL shop has tilted my judgement a bit with the 400. I'm used the running maintenance on databases but it has come to my attention that this is not really necessary with the 400. All I'm trying to do is be a bit proactive and ensure that performance is at it's best here.

Back