JDE E1 - OS/Database/SP 23 upgrade

Sri2008

Hello list,

We are currently on XE/Oracle 9i/HP UX 11.11/Citrix and in process of upgrading the hardware/database/OS and applying the SP23.

Hardware: more powerful than what we currently have
Database: from Oracle 9i to Oracle 10G

Here is the plan outline We are thinking to follow
1.Copy/restore Current PROD env to the NEW hardware and rename the schemas to CRP
2.Copy/restore CRP on NEW hardware to TEST environment
I am doing the above steps because my current DV/CRP/PROD objects are not in sync because
a. Heavy custom objects development
b. ESUs were not applied across all the environments
3.Once the two environments are ready on the NEW server, I am going to copy/restore the Current PROD to NEW server and create NEW PROD
4.Apply prerequisite ESUs and SP23 in DV
5.Apply prerequisite ESUs and SP23 in CRP
6.Apply prerequisite ESUs and SP23 in PROD

I understand that each step is going to take a lot of time and we can’t stop the custom development until the final go live on the new servers.

Do I have to install JDE on new servers before I restore it from Current PROD.?

How do we get the custom objects that are in development from the Current server to new server?

Has anybody done this kind of upgrade?

Please suggest any precautions that we would need to take.

Thanks
Prasad

Hi,

I'm not an expert on HP/UX-Oracle, however, I'd try to
split your go-live project into separate sub-projects.
It's very risky to upgrade everything in one shot, if it
doesn't work how would you identify the cause?
Is it due to OS? to DB? to JDE SP or to Hardware?
And most important : how would you rollback in a
reasonable time?

1. Start by upgrading JDE SP, it's the easiest one to
implement and to rollback.
2. Upgrade DB
3. Upgrade OS
4. Move to the new hardware

Regarding your questions, your source code is stored on
both the deployment share and your Central Objects
databases, so they will pass to the new server.
You have to build a full package per environment to
recompile all objects for their new OS architecture.

Good luck

Sebastian,
Thanks for the reply. I cannot apply SP23 as my current hardware/os/database is not supported for that. I have confirmed this with JDE. So we are creating a parallel environment with new hardware then upgrading OS and database. Once the OS and DB update is complete, then we are planning to create a DV, CRP and PROD environments out of the current PROD environment. Every step is going to take good amount of time and we can't stop our custom development for couple of months. For example we are planning to go live in Nov and we are creating the DV, PY, PROD environments in first week of Sep'08. So during these two months what ever we develop, should be moved to New Prod environment. How can we achieve this. Is there a way, how we do it...
Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Sri

Sri,

Have a look at product packaging - you may need assistance in setting it up - we did. Another option, much easier, but possibly more expensive (depending on whether or not you would need to pay for a consultant to set up product packaging), is Alex Pastuhov's Everest Software Internation's Boomerang.

Hi,

Yes, you can either use Product Packaging to move
a bunch of objects or you can move the whole Central
Objects database from Server A to Server B, and then
recompile them (full package).
In the middle, you'll have to change table owner (let's
say from dv812.f98760 to pd812.f98760) but you can easily
script it.
It usually takes 0.5 to 2 hours to copy all Central
Objects database from server A to server B, and then 3 to
10 hours to recompile all objects on Server B.

Another way to get the custom development to your new box would be, create the project names and object names that are in developement, exactly like you have in Current system on your new system and copy the specs from DV folder of the current system to the new system. Open the objects on the new system and save them and then build a a package and move that to PY thru PD. Be cautious with the names when you are creating on the new system as they must be exactly same. Hope this works for you...

Back