OneWorld XE and Oracle DB on Linux

jhnjhn21

Dear list,
We have XE installation that is running both enterprise server and Oracle 9i DB on Unix boxes (SUN machines). Could anybody answer me a question if we can move Oracle DB to Linux platform? Leaving enterprise server on SUN platform and staying on XE of course ...

Kind regards,

John Kowalsky,

John,

Our company was looking at this also and I was told by Oracle support that support for Linux does not start until 8.9, specifically tools release 8.96 or 8.97, depending on the version of Linux.

Once you have upgraded to 8.12 and tools release 8.97 (probably a massive feat in itself) I don't see why you couldn't run the enterprise server on Solaris and the database server on Linux.

We know that one can use Linux as a platform for Oracle DB while on E1 8.11 or 8.12. What we want is to stay on "rock solid" XE and use Linux as Oracle database platform. We can't find such a configuration described as supported in MTR and thats why I ask the list for any experiences with it.
Regards,

John Kowalsky

There really shouldn't be an issue doing this. However, I am not sure I would totally recommend this due to the lack of support from Oracle's side.

Under Xe, the only supported platforms for the Oracle database is Sun, HPUX, AIX and Windows - but Oracle on Linux DOES work perfectly well (I myself have a testbed on FreeBSD with Oracle 9i). However, if you DID get into an issue which required assistance from JDE, then you would likely be told that this is an unsupported configuration if they found out the database platform.

Under 8.9 and above, I'd press you to do the opposite - ie, use the solaris platform for the database and have linux boxes as application and JAS servers - much faster and more scalable configuration than just a single Solaris box.

Dear Jon,
Thank you for your response. Because we consider a technology not officially supported as stated at MRTs we know about limits associated with lack of Oracle support and know risks associated with that choice. All we want to know is community experience with 'linux as DB server' for OneWorld XE.
Especially we would be interested in:
- version of OW XE (e.g. SP23_K1)
- version of Oracle DB (e.g. 9.2.7.0 x86_64)
- instance of Linux (i.e. RH 4.6 x86_64) (in you case FreeBSD)
Kind regards,
--
Johnny

Back