XML files in CreateForm Director - append losing XML tags

Cathy Wilbur

Well Known Member
We want to make XML our standard format.

We had a large XML file that we produce for statements. We email most of our statements out but our printed statements we want to bind back together into one pirnt file so that the operators do not get 100's of individual print files but only one print file per run. We want the createform designer project to manage the splitting of the forms which it does.

The problem we have is that we process all of our statements together in one big file so what I do is email the some statements and print those statements with no email addresses. What I do is a split by student number and write each of the statements to an appended file.

The problem I have is that in our XML file we have project header information that only appears once as a section at the top of the file. So if I split my file for individual students then when I append the XML statements to be printed back together then some of my tags are missing. Has anyone come across this problem?

How do most people define their XML files if they have header information - assume you just repeat it over and over? We have a project header in our XML files that identifies the project we want to execute, the run number of the job, the file-id of the job if one run is split into multiple files, and the printer to be used to print the output. But this project header only appears once in the XML file followed by many student statements.

When you try and append these individual student statements back together then I am now missing the tags for the project header. So the next project bombs when I try and print the statements.

Cathy,
I think you can handle this with XSLT but not sure if this can be used along with Createforms.

Maybe you can dig more in this area.

Thanks,
Chan

Back