Killing a web session

wainwrr

wainwrr

Well Known Member
Xe SP23_S1 WebSphere 6 multiple cluster members Lots of Web clients
It's a quiet day in Gotham city when suddenly CNCman notices that the JAS log file on one cluster has run up to 10Gb. A quick tail of the log files reveals that the cause is a constantly repeating failure of an insert into an HR tail - failing because of an attempted primary key violation and the 11Gb log file is still growing.

Tracing back from the log file the virtual client is identified in SAW as belonging to a particular user. Visisting their workstation to find out why we've got a 12Gb log file, we see on screen the cogs spinning. With a 13Gb log file we kill the IE session on the workstation and log the user out of JDE. However, when we reach 14Gb, looking in saw the user still appears logged in with all the virtual clients still present.

Round about this time the web server runs out of dsik and effectively halts the sessions. So we stop the cluster member, delete the 16Gb log file, restart and everything is well again.

So...........
What could we have done - apart from never letting that App near Live in the first place?
How with WebSphere, SAW etc. can we kill a user individually or preferably a single virtual client and not have to resort to taking out the whole cluster member and the 20 attached users?

Stopping the user's IE session would still have left his processes running. The session timeout would have kept his session alive on the JAS server until the timeout period was reached.

You could have tried killing the session in the JAS SAW application, or tried to track down the kernel running the business function that kept trying to insert records, and killed the kernel.

Yes but that's the point. I can't see anyway in JAS SAW of kiling a session - am I missing something?

Killig the kernel once you've found it is pretty brutal too - although I did resort to it - because the kernel can be shared by more than one user based on the BSFN being executed in it (and by more than one BSFN for that matter).

There seems no way to take out an individual user at any level - Websphere, saw or database and that seems a serious limitation to me.

What you say about the kernel is both true, and unfortunate. There is no way to kill a kernel and not affect somebody else who might also be using it.

With the SAW, however, there might be a way to kill an individual user. Unfortunately, I haven't been on an Xe JAS client in a while, so I don't know if this is available to you or not (or even if it would work, because some things just don't work right in Xe HTML client).

Anyway, under the Tools Release 8.96 JAS SAW, under the User List view, it is possible to check off each client session you want to affect, and choose the action "logout all virtual clients for selected users" from a drop-down menu.

You are not alone in your complaints in this regard. There are quite a few AS/400 shops who also bemoan the lack of user-by-user control in E1.

Thanks for the replies Ken, sounds like 8.96 has what we want but its not there in Xe sadly.

Back