8.97 and IE HTTP Connections

DRezanka

DRezanka

Reputable Poster
When we installed 8.97, the applications were arbitrarily locking up on us. Oracle recommended a solution – 201061798. Basically it says to change the number of connections for Internet Explorer from the default of 2 to 10. And if you are accessing the system through a proxy, then change the HTTP version to 1.1. Is this a reasonable request from Oracle?

Question 1: Have any of you upgraded to 8.97 and did NOT have this problem?
Question 2: Have any of you had the problem and solved it through the web server rather than at the client browser?
Question 3: Does anyone know how to validate whether the change in max connections will cause bandwidth or web server resource issues?

I attached a subset of the solution.

TIA

They told us that as well. I would tell you the Case numbers that they referenced, but I will have to do that from work tomorrow. This is actually a Microsoft reccomendation, and Oracle support is passing it along. There is also an IEFRAME registry entry you'll need to double-check if you upgraded from IE6 to IE7.

[ QUOTE ]
They told us that as well. I would tell you the Case numbers that they referenced, but I will have to do that from work tomorrow. This is actually a Microsoft recommendation, and Oracle support is passing it along. There is also an IEFRAME registry entry you'll need to double-check if you upgraded from IE6 to IE7.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, here are the case numbers that Support pointed me to:
Solution ID 201049759
Solution ID 201042032
Solution ID 201061798
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q183110/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282402/en-us

This is excellent information. Thanks much.

The problem I have is this quote from Microsoft "This procedure is for informational purposes only. Changing the maximum number of connections beyond two is a violation of Internet standards; Microsoft does not recommend this procedure for use outside closed networks".

And, Oracle has not posted these changes as an MTR for running E1 on IE.

So, is the problem that Microsoft is acting as an obstacle for AJAX technology (HTTPSendRequest) or did Oracle use it without considering how it was going to affect the customers desktop installation?

But then, if this isn't an MTR, does this mean that some customers are successfullying using 8.97 with IE 6.0 and there is some server configuration that can resolve it instead?

Thanks

While it is true that the HTTP 1.1 specification (RFC2068) mandates the two connection limit -- however, most browsers other than IE haven't followed that for awhile now.

Firefox 2: 2
Firefox 3 beta 4: 2
Opera 9.26: 4
Opera 9.5 beta: 4
Safari 3.0.4 Mac/Windows: 4
IE 7: 2
IE 8: 6

Note that last: even Microsoft in IE8 is no longer following it. I copy from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc304129(VS.85).aspx

[ QUOTE ]

Concurrent Connections

With Internet Explorer 8, the maximum number of concurrent connections from a single host process connecting via broadband to a single server has been increased to 6. In Internet Explorer 7 and earlier, the maximum number of concurrent connections per host process to a single server via HTTP 1.1 is 2. For HTTP 1.0, the limit is 4, though HTTP 1.1 connections are far more common today. Note that the maximum number of concurrent connections from a single host process connecting via narrowband (for instance, with a modem over a telephone line) to a single server remains the same as for Internet Explorer 7 and earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

I have held off replying to this post whilst we finished our engagement with JDE Response line and Oracle critical accounts for a similar issue that you are having with 8.97 and a customers system locking up.

We noticed substantial differences between 8.96 and 8.97

Our customer is on OAS rather than WebSphere, but we also temporarily installed WebSphere to do web server comparisons.

The settings that you mention for HTTP and also the registry settings were done and did help a bit, but the final solution was more than that.

1. Open regedit.exe

2. Navigate to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

3. Add a new DWORD entry named "MaxConnectionsPerServer"

4. Set the value of this new key to Decimal "10" or Hexadecimal "a"

5. Add a new DWORD entry named "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"

6. Set the value of this new key to Decimal "10" or Hexadecimal "a"

7. Close "regedit.exe" and restart the browser

NOTE: Since this registry setting change is to HKCU, make sure it is being for the USER that will be running E1 on this particular machine.

8. Open Internet Explorer

9. Select "Internet Options" from the "Tools" menu

10. Navigate to the “Advanced” tab

11. Find the entry for "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" and ensure that it is checked.

12. Press OK

NOTE: Make sure that your Internet Explorer 6 or 7 is patched to the latest version or these settings may not resolve the issue.

The other parts of the final solution for us were:-

No JDE PC should have less than 1Gb RAM and 1.5GB of swap space (this alongside the http and registry changes) made a vast diference to some users. 8.97 is more demanding on resources than 8.96.

Upgrade of OS (again for some users) from Windows 2000 to Windows XP (minimum) again we gained another boost to performance for these users.

We also needed to download 2 OAS patches (6880880 & 6390846) which gave us a big boost to WAN users in countries other than UK (where the system resides). This may not be the case for you as your sig block indicates you are on WebSphere. The one thing we did find was that when WebSphere "locked up" it just left our users with a blank screen, when OAS "locked up" it would eventually return (anywhere between 5 and 55+ minutes later) the screen to the user with no loss of data or position in the transaction.

The last piece of our puzzle was using network sniffing tools and database utilities to investigate sql statements from customised applications that showed long delays in the system and then applying new indexes to the "offending tables". 8.97 appeared to be less tolerant of "incomplete code".

I have the registry patch and I have 4GB or RAM on my machine and I still experience the long hang times. I am not sure what to make of this. We are testing in PY with WAS 6.1 and 8.97.3 I am not sure I can move this to PROD if it is going to continue to perform like that.

Apart from these suggestions does anyone have any other options?

All,

I was looking at this, and it references changing the HKEY_LOCAL_USER key, can I just implement this under HKEY_LOCAL_SYSTEM, and be done, or do I need to implement it under HKEY_LOCAL_USER while the user is logged on???

Thanks!

Matthew

We are still experiecing the issue as well, after applying the registry fix... Any new possible solutions?

Back