AP EDI Interface - importing data from single Excel spreadshee

Cathy Wilbur

Well Known Member
What is the best way to set up our Excel spreadsheet so that we can just import the data into the batch voucher revisions screen "P0411Z1". Want to somehow set up the Excel spreadsheet so that when we import the data it pulls in the data for the F0411Z1 and the F0911Z1.

First can we just import the data for both files from a single Excel spreadsheet? Do you know of an online document to show us how to properly do this?

Currently all our A/P voucher interfaces are custom table conversion programs that updates the F0411Z1 and F0911Z1. We were wondering if we could temporarily update both files directly by importing the data directly from an Excel spreadsheet. We will eventually be writing a table conversion program to perform this function once the outside application is able to generate interface data electronically.

Going off on vacation so put question out here to give people time to respond when I come back to work.

Both Z tables have screen interface to upload so you can directly upload from Excel into grid or temp table what you are discussing.

For formating in Excel, best way is reverse engineering first generate one outbound record to excel and you can use that as template for uploading from Excel.

i am not so lucky to have vacation
frown.gif

Hi Cathy,

Just a quick note. You mentioned that you would be writing an independent interface to process this data. Do you plan to use a typical EDI translation software application? If so, you might want to just map the data directly into the F47011 etc. set of tables and not fool with the Z tables. You will have better control and audit trail as well as easier interface to deal with (like corrections to the uploaded file).

Just a thought....

Cheers,

Skip Stein

Why do you not use the F0411Z1 and the F0911Z1 files? Is this other file easier to manipulate. Will check it out. All of our other interfaces use the F0411Z1 and/or the F0911Z1. We also did an EDI interface for the Address book as well. Our cheque requisition interface is a two tier interface that updated the address book then call the second step in the interface to update the F0411Z1 and the F0911Z1 files. I was looking for an interface that would take my one excel file and update the A/P system and the G/L system at the same time - did not want to have to update two seperate EDI files from the EXCEL file. Was trying to keep it SIMPLE for the feeder department that does not use the Finance system much at all.

Hi Cathy,

The main reason to not use the 'Z' files is that there are user maintenance interfaces for use with all the EDI 'F47' files. Mapping into the F47 files provides better editing/validation for insertion into the main system processes. Using a spreadsheet and the 'Z' files do not provide this interface and ease of use; nor does it produce the same level of audit trail.

For a significant EDI use, I would suggest you explore a good EDI 'translation' program with AS2 support and good communications management.

Let me know if I can assist.

Cheers,

Skip Stein
Management Systems Consulting, Inc.

Back