Performance issue E812 8.97 1.1

Zlatanovic Dragan

We are facing a performance problem running UBEs on an iSeries with 8.97. The new technology to use METADATA kernel and QSQSRVR is producing a long delay before a UBE is really starting. The result is that running the same R42565 invoice reprint on an NT server fetching data from iSeries takes 15 sec, running it locally on the iSeries takes 45 sec!
Does anybody have a similar issue?

Can we have some more information please???? Do you have any joblogs to share?

What Tools Release were you on before?

Did you tune the number of prestart QSQSRVR processes on the system?

Is it slow the first time or every time?

I wouldn't say that it's the metadata kernel or qsqsrvr jobs that are the cause for the slower performance. On short running jobs like that there is typically more time spent on the start up and clean up programs when running on the enterprise server than the actual processing of the job themselves. Try doing a comparison with a job that takes 10 minutes or so and see what the results are to determine if it's really a performance issue.

Hi

1. We had similar troubles on AIX 5.3, these long
delays were greatly reduced after increasing the
number of METADATA kernels from 1 to 4.

2. Those short highly repetitive UBEs like R42565
should be configured to run on a JDE SubSystem (don't
confuse with AS/400 Subsystems!).

JDE SubSystems greatly reduce execution time for those
short jobs because it doesn't have to initialize code
and connections every time the job is launched, they're
kept in memory.

As other person say, these changes don't make a great
difference for jobs running 10 or more minutes, but they
do have an impact on jobs running less than 60 seconds.

I would first try changing order of fields in where statement (data selection), try to arrange them so the first field in data selection is the first field of one of F4211’s indices. Also, you can run it as subsystem job and save a lot of overhead.

Hope this helps,
Bojan

Sebastian is correct...this needs to be made into a subsystem job. Indexes could be an issue, but your RDBMS index suggestion tool should rule that out. However, if there is a index issue, do not as the previous poster said try to "match" a index, build one in E1 and create it.

I add 2 debug.logs. One from the NT server the other one iSeries.
We followed all recommendation mentioned in "IBM System i Performance and Tuning
Tips for Oracle’s JD Edwards
EnterpriseOne 8.12, WebSphere 6.0, and
WebSphere 6.1" from IBM including the prestart jobs for QSQSRVR.
Of course running R42565 in a subsystem will reduce the initial load time, but our main concern are the warehouse jobs where no subsystem version is available.

Back