Installation

EONECNC

Well Known Member
In a Lab environment, is it possible to install Enterprise server, Deployment server and Jas server on a single physical machine for testing purposes ?

Regards

WJT

Hi,

Yes, it's possible but performance will be horrible,
you'll be sharing disk, RAM and CPU resources across
Deployment, UBEs, Database, Web Server and HTTP.

if the machine is a vm-host and you set up multiple clients, then yes, that is possible. if it's not a vm-host, then the answer is no, those are conflicting servers.

I used to do this sort of thing on my test installations, but I stopped doing it after 8.11. When I did that installation, there was some really odd behavior during package build and deploy, and I decided that it had gotten to the point that the functions were conflicting too much.

Take Gregg's advice, and at least separate the Deployment Server and Enterprise Server onto separate virtual machines. The JAS Server could be installed in either place, but as long as you are using virtual machines, why not separate that one too?

In a test environment, get hold of a nice box with lots of memory and use VMWare Server (its free). I create a seperate VMWare server for the APP server, JAS server, Deployment Server and fat client, and install the database onto the physical host. You'll need a TON of hard drive space though - I haven't been able to install a full E1 environment in less than 250Gb, and you really want some FAST drives otherwise the thing will crawl !

Beyond those boxes, however, you can then add additional Oracle boxes - including Fusion Middleware, etc etc

As for using Oracles Virtualization ? I wouldn't right now, last time I tried, it was REALLY tough to get configured and running. I'd stick with VMware at the moment.

Back