CPU Percent Usage

m@dm@x

m@dm@x

Well Known Member
All,
I have a question for the 400 admins out there. Keep in mind I am in no way a 400 admin so if the question below is stupid, please let me know
smile.gif

Anyway, I've noticed that while looking at the active jobs on my AS/400 the percentage of the CPU displayed in the left hand corner doesn't match what is actually shown under the CPU column for all the active jobs. If I add up all the jobs and their perspective CPU percentage, it is way below what is displayed in the upper left hand corner. Any ideas as to why this is?

Thanks in Advance.

Max

Hi Max -

There are a few possible explanations. The first is that the system captures the overall cpu then pulls the information for each job – thus the information is not a snapshot in time but a movie. The second possibility is that the system CPU also includes SLIC tasks (low level threads) which means adding up the CPU for the jobs will fall short of the actual used by all activity on the system.

HTH...Jen

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Max -

There are a few possible explanations. The first is that the system captures the overall cpu then pulls the information for each job – thus the information is not a snapshot in time but a movie. The second possibility is that the system CPU also includes SLIC tasks (low level threads) which means adding up the CPU for the jobs will fall short of the actual used by all activity on the system.

HTH...Jen

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a ton Jen! I'll ask my 400 admin what SLIC tasks are. Is there a menu available on the 400 to show SLIC tasks?

Max

The wrksysact command will show slic tasks. This is in the IBM performance tools package so you may not have the command. If you do just hit F15 to see tasks rather than jobs or F13 to see both jobs and tasks.

[ QUOTE ]
So can you share how you lost the twenty $$???

PS You should so sign up for our newsletter: http://www.centerfieldtechnology.com/publications

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I still haven't gotten over my loss of 20 bones. I guess telling the story will help heal the wounds.

Back in 2007 The OSU Football and Basketball teams played in National Championships agains the Gators. OWCNC bet me in both, and of coarse my team, OSU, lost both games. One of the games was during a Go-Live and he was mean enough to show me the 10 bucks every 30 minutes. I still lose sleep over it.

I signed up for the newsletter; thanks for all the help.

Max

Back