Upgrade and Parallel Development in E1

Info_123

I had a question:
During Upgrade process say for example we are doing an upgrade from XE to E812. As first step we will upgrade DV pathcode of XE to E812 and do all the steps which are relevant for upgrade.
Assuming this phase of project is a huge effort becuase of site specific modification, data conversions etc. This DV upgrade process takes about 5-6 months.
In the mean time we also did a bunch of new custom development. say R55100 , R55200, R55300 etc
My question is how do I get these new objects R55100-300 into the upgraded DV812.
Ideally I would want to now copy my Dv812 into PY812, build a PY812 environment , build packages, do a new data conversion, and test with bussiness users in PY

What it is recommended approach for getting those new custom developed objects across?

Thanks

First if you upgrade the DV7333 environment to DV812 then you no longer have a DV7333 environment.

My recommendation here would be to first create a 2nd DV7333 environment - call it DV73332 and then upgrade the copy or the original. On 812 it can still be referred to as DV812.

Regarding how to move objects between releases you have a few options.

1. Use the JDEdwards R98700 UBE to move objects from Xe to 812
-this is free
-best when you have a very small number of objects to move across
-low frequency of change
-not very difficult to do

2. Link Xe and 812 Central Object Path Codes in OMW
-this is free
-good when you have a large number of objects to move across
-good for a high frequency of change
-skilled resource required to set this up

3. Purchase 3rd Party Software (Boomerang)
-not free
-good when you have a large number of objects to move across
-good for a high frequency of change
-not very difficult to do

I typically go with option #1 and can teach anyone to do this in about an hour or so.

Colin

Thanks Cdawes, for your reply.

I did not understand your statement " First if you upgrade the DV7333 environment to DV812 then you no longer have a DV7333 environment". Can you please elobrate.

If I upgrade Dv7333 to E812 I can still keep doing my parallel development in DV7333. ISnt that true ? I am assuming all the impact is on E812 side . That is the path code which will have my custome objects which will come from DV7333. ISnt that the case ?

I should be able to do whatever in Dv7333 in the meantime. Or Am I missing something

Thanks

Hi.

No, you only will have the DV7333 environment if you are using snapshot on the deployment server. You could also do like he said, duplicate your DV7333 environment, upgrade the duplicate and you could still develop in your original environment.

Thanks for sharing info.

Is there any document which explains the steps for Upgrade? Any step by step instructions available from KG ? If yes, please point me to that.

Thanks

Info,

You would be hard pressed to find any good information about upgrades on the knowledge garden. Upgrades are VERY complex and vary according to the customer's hardware and software. Oracle and a large group of consultants make a very nice living doing upgrades. We upgraded a test system from XE to 8.12 with the help of an Oracle consultant. The process took nearly three weeks.

Gregg

Back