Blog from the "geek meet" at collaborate

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
Blog from the \"geek meet\" at collaborate

Hi Guys (and gals)

well i'm here at the technical SIG kickoff - and so far there has been some interesting info for all us E1 people.

Now, i'm blogging from my phone - while the speakers are speaking - so this is about as rough as it can get !

ok - so exciting news for xe owners - sp23 is going to have a couple of oneoffs - including v1 which orcl I considering supporting vista with. there are plans for an sp24 - though no dates yet. SP23V1 will include OAS support btw.

as for 8.9x - there are two upcoming releases of the tools -8.98 and 8.99 (my guess that is the last major tools release - since they ran out of numbers !) - obviously 8.99 is the stepping stone to 9.0 (or 9.1 ?)

8.98 will not have as much cool stuff as 8.97 had - but it will include a JDBC version of ODA - open data access - which is being introduced to help support the BI tool.

I'll see if I can post more later ! in the meantime - i'll post the slides

Attachments

• 132022-IMAGE_146.jpg
    132022-IMAGE_146.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 269
Re: Blog from the \"geek meet\" at collaborate

slide2

Attachments

• 132023-IMAGE_147.jpg
    132023-IMAGE_147.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 229

slide3

Attachments

• 132024-IMAGE_148.jpg
    132024-IMAGE_148.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 212

slide4

Attachments

• 132025-IMAGE_149.jpg
    132025-IMAGE_149.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 192

slide5

Attachments

• 132026-IMAGE_150.jpg
    132026-IMAGE_150.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 196

last slide

Attachments

• 132027-IMAGE_151.jpg
    132027-IMAGE_151.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 178

Jon,

Thanks for your efforts.

I'm sorry for them being 90 degrees on their side - but I'm sure you can rotate the slides back ! As you can see, very interesting stuff.

What WAS interesting was that someone from Oracle stated that premier support for 8.12 was ending in 2011. Yes. 8.12 isn't a misprint. The basis for this is the fact that 9.0 (which will probably be "9.1" when it gets released) will be available in "fiscal year 2009" according to Oracle statements.

Now, don't kill the messenger - I'm not 100% sure myself of all these dates - but I think its important that if you ARE negotiating with Oracle, that you point blank ask them when support for the products you're about to upgrade to is going to end.

Personally I'm glad they have two major toolset releases already scheduled (8.98 and 8.99) - these obviously fit well into the "9.0" release. Lots of hints about what 9.0 might have, but nothing concrete yet !

Jon,

The official Oracle policy is 5 years of premier support from the date software goes GA. 8.12 shipped around this time in 2006, so that is in line with their policy.

Jon,

I just printed out your snaps and turned the table around - so much for humour! I could understand why you took the 2nd picture of the 1st slide, but why did you take 2 pictures of the last slide?

During the Quest ANZ conference I asked Oracle staff if there was an end date for E8.11 and if so when. All I got was I'll get back to you - which, of course, they never did. I don't suppose you've heard if/when E8.11 support ends?

It is interesting that E8.12 (2011) support ends before Xe (2013).

[ QUOTE ]
I don't suppose you've heard if/when E8.11 support ends?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, before 2011 (!!!) I'm assuming its 2010, based on their 5 year support strategy.
[ QUOTE ]

It is interesting that E8.12 (2011) support ends before Xe (2013).

[/ QUOTE ]

I certainly didn't want to highlight that fact so obviously - after all, the worst thing is that this becomes a decision maker for a company NOT to upgrade.

The Xe support extension was/is a legal requirement based on Oracle taking over Peoplesoft/JDE. Remember, Xe was supposed to have had support dropped in 2005 !

"Premier" support means only that the patches and SAR's (improvements) to the product cease. You are still maintained by Oracle for an additional 3 years after that (ie, for 8.12 - thats 2014 - therefore AFTER Xe). Obviously we'd all be looking forward to that date when the 8.12 product is incredibly stable by then - and not having to download 1,000's of ESU's will be nice...(!)

The question I have, since this year is when 8.9 support ends (9/18/2008) - is 8.9 very stable ?

I'm also assuming that 8.10 support comes to an end in 2009 - therefore the Win32 client will officially no longer be supported at that point. Oracle is using "Fiscal year 2009" for a lot of groundbreaking announcements...

I'll blog more later today. Sorry I uploaded multiple photos of the slides (I was doing it on my cellphone after all !)

I'll be attending the JD Edwards Keynote with John Schiff, followed by the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Roadmap this morning - and this afternoon I'll be meandering through some more technical sessions.

Don't forget my own presentation on Thursday at 11am - session 33060, a Fast, Easy Upgrade to JD Edwards EnterpriseOne in Room 605 where I'll talk about some best practices for upgrade considerations and planning !

Jon,

Thanks for the additional information.

With regard to the duplicate pictures, I was hoping that you didn't send one a second time instead of a new one by mistake.

I, for one, am grateful for the information you provide from the conference. It is probably the only way I will, from Ausralia, be able to receive it.

I don't think I'll be able to make your presentation -
frown.gif
grin.gif

According to the Oracle website* Support for E8.11 SP1 will end as follows:

End of Patches and Fixes December 2009
End of Upgrade Script Support: December 2009
End of Tax & Regulatory Change Support: December 2010

* Requires a login user id. To get the full detail click a product and then click the availability tab.

Wow. Thats just 18 months away...

I know this thread is supposed to be about the Conference so I'm sorry to just focus on the support dates.

This information about the dates was sent to me from my boss about 2 weeks ago and now our plan to upgrade from ERP8 to 8.12 has kinda stopped or we are re-evaluating the upgrade.

So with all these support dates that they mention what is a company supposed to do? Should we as a JDE customer be expected to upgrade every 5 years? I've said to our team here that we should really be looking at upgrading to a new or newer release every 3-4 years just to take advantage of the new features of their software. Even though I say that to our IT team I'm not necessarily convinced that we could upgrade that often. So would these support dates sort of force you to upgrade more often?

At this point we haven't been forced to upgrade because of the extended support dates for ERP8 but I can't imagine what we would have done had that not been extended.

Kevin

[ QUOTE ]
So with all these support dates that they mention what is a company supposed to do? Should we as a JDE customer be expected to upgrade every 5 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone remember the buzz at last year's conference? The buzz was that Oracle was NOT going to force customers to go through a constant upgrade cycle? Did the winds shift?

Gregg

[ QUOTE ]
This information about the dates was sent to me from my boss about 2 weeks ago and now our plan to upgrade from ERP8 to 8.12 has kinda stopped or we are re-evaluating the upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevin

First of all, being under "premier support" should notb be your driving requirement for an upgrade. you are already supported until 2013 - so that shouldn't be a reason to go forward.

your driving requirements should be functionally based - new functionality in enterpriseone to provide the necessary ROI should be the top requirement. Remember - oracle will support any product on an ongoing basis - its only that new SAR's will stop being entered after 2011.

I got to go into my session now - but i'll add more later

Hi Jon,

Maybe I didn't explain it properly but we aren't planning to go to 8.12 because of the premier support. We are actually thinking the opposite. We might cancel the upgrade to 8.12 because the support dates for the Updates and fixes along with the Tax updates in ERP8 are Dec. 2013 whereas 8.12 dates are Apr. 2011 (Updates and fixes) and Apr 2012 (tax updates). So the thoughts here are why would we go to a newer release that isn't supported as long as the current release.

Personally I really like what I see in 8.12 with 8.97 and I would love to see us upgrade.

We also have 2 divisions that are on separate installations of JDE and they are currently on 8.10 so that's something else we have to think about.

Kevin

Jon-
I think that 8.97 is the last supported tools release on 8.9, unless JDE surprises us.
Well I guess we will have to pull the trigger when the announce 9.0 or 9.1 at collaborate (**HINT**)

Correct. 8.97 is the last version support for 8.9 because support ends in September - before 8.98 is released (and because powerforms were introduced in 8.10). But for those users on 8.10 and above, it seems that 8.98 and 8.99 are going to be supported.

Back