Tray selection when printing to E1 laser printer

KSwaeby

KSwaeby

Reputable Poster
Is it possible to specify tray selection in E1 when printing directly to an E1 printer?

We use Create!form to format output but the output for this job 1) does not require formatting and 2) the destination printer is PCL.

Is anyone printing directly from E1 to a specific paper tray on a laser printer?

Any advice is appreciated -

Karen Swaeby
E1 8.11 SUN
Create!form v3.2

Karen,
One way is as Sabestaian said as JDE does not have any direct control on printers.
If your report is specific to the printer then other way is you can tie a printer to the report or location so user firing reports from the app will go by default to that printer.

Thanks,
Chan

Chan,

The job is not specific to a user, it can be run by several different users. When it runs it needs to print to a specific printer and pull paper from a specific tray.

I've passed the information from Sabestaian on to the CNC/Development group (Thanks Sabestaian for the quick reply to my post!). I'm still looking for any solutions that others are using.

Karen.

E1 v8.11 SUN
Create!form v3.2

Karen,

Have you tried setting up a print queue that only prints to a predefined tray/paper source and defining a printer in E1 that points to that print queue?

Peter,

I haven't tried that yet, currently the only printers defined in EnterpriseOne route output to the CformServer.

The EnterpriseServer is Sun, would the printer defined on the Sun server be where tray selection is defined?

Karen.

Karen Swaeby
E1 8.11 SUN
Create!form v3.2

Karen,

As you are probably aware, we use a Sun box as our Enterprise Server and as you would definately be aware we use Create!form.

Our set up basically uses the Creat!form server as a print server. Each E1 Printer points to separate Sun/Unix print queues which in turn point to separate print queues on the Create!form sever. Any print job coming through on a Create!form monitored print queue without a corresponding project is sent directly to the printer.

It seems like your set up is similar.

My suggestion would involve defining tray selection on a Create!form sever print queue, not on any Sun/Unix print queue. I would also recommend that this be an entirely new print queue link (E1 to Sun/Unix to Create!form sever), to an existing physical printer.

Peter,

Thanks for your help with this, much appreciated.

The environment that I'm working in is different as there are NO JDE printers except one printer that routes JDE PDF's to the CformServer. I wasn't in on the process that led to that decision. I'm just trying to work with what I have now.

The JDE printer that I have is connected to Cstream. It's up to Cstream to direct the job to the correct CformServer printer which in turn sends the merged output to the physical device (IP address of printer).

I have tested and proven that Cform can do tray selection (to a PS printer) but development is already in process with the assumption that the job will NOT pass through Cform. I was going with the assumption that Cform requires 1) a form project and 2) a PS printer in order to do tray selection but you've suggested another option that I'll see if I can test..

I posted on this forum to see if I could get advice for how other E1 implementations are doing tray selection without 3rd party software like Create!form. You've given some additional ideas that I will pass onto management.

Thanks much -

Karen Swaeby
E1 8.11 SUN
Create!form v3.2

HI,

I'm not agree with what was said in this topic.
Jde can drive tray selection.
B986162B does it.

Not directly, it's true.
With the serverJobNumber, you can request the PDF printing to a Jde Printer specifing the tray number.

Some surprises can occurs but it works.
for example, I had to print in tray 3 and need to specify 4 in the parameter.

With this function and a "driver" batch, we are able to pilot automatical invoice printings for different brand with differend pre-printed forms on the same printer.

Regards

Charles, if I recall, JDE paper source (tray) selection only is implemented for PostScript priting.

Yes, if you specify your JDE printer is PostScript then tray selection parameters are available. When it's a PCL printer those parameters are not available.

Karen.

Karen,

Did you get it to print to two trays?

We have the same kind of problem where we are using JDE BI Publisher and however much we try it prints only to tray 1. We even designated a printer and changed its setting to print page 1 to tray 1 and remaining pages to tray 2. When the pdf gets printed via JDE it overrides any setting on the printer and prints to tray 1 only. But when pdf is sent via Non-JDE it prints correctly.

Did you have any luck getting it to print to different trays? am stuck - wud appreciate any help.

thanks
sheeba

Yes I was able to get it working. It requires PostScript laser printers (won't work with PCL printers) and that you're using Create!form software to process the JDE PDF output.

I don't have experience with BI Publisher so not sure how that fits into what you are trying to do with tray selection.

Karen.

Back in the 'old days' - you could tray select using LPR and setting up the
printer virtually within the host OS. Basically, the LPR setup would would
be configured for the specific tray. A virtual printer would be created on
the host - pointing to the LPR printer. You could define the names of the
different trays, based on the LPR printer.

Cryptic - yes, your OS guy would understand.

(db)

--

Back