Slow Package with 8.12 SP8.97.3 with AS400

mtrottier

Well Known Member
The client side of a full build for 8.12 SP8.97.3 with an AS400 is taking about 6 hours.

Is anyone seeing better performance than this with an AS400 8.12 install?

I have another 8.12 install on a Windows SQL Server system and it only takes about 2 hours for the same process.

The AS/400 is notoriously slower for full builds than Windows machines and it almost always has to do with system resources. The more RAM and processor you can throw at it, the faster it will go. I have worked on several scenarios and some examples are, i550 with 16GB RAM and 1.5 processors, a full build takes 4 hours for the Server side. Also on a i550 with .5 processor and 8GB RAM it takes approx. 10 hours.

As far as the client side goes, I have deployment servers with Dual Core Xeon processors and 2GB RAM and the client builds take approx. 3.5 hours.

Hi

I have an 8.12 8.97 install that is completing the client build in the following times :

23.05 - start build
00.55 - finish client build
00.56 - start server build
02.53 - start checking build status
03.53 - server build completed

So, with V5R4 on a dual processor iSeries 9406-525 with 16Gb Main Storage can complete a full package in about 5 hours with 8.12 on 8.97.0.3 using a dual processor deployment server with about 2Gb of RAM on a gigabit switch.

It is important to note that NO OTHER PROCESS was running on the AS/400 at the time, there were 4 queues configured for the build queue (standard) - and I had also just reset services and rebooted the deployment server just prior to starting the build. With other UBE's running or other users connected, the times will certainly be impacted.

Check your network throughput and of course all your ODBC connections etc. Make sure that the deployment server is connected as fast as possible to the iSeries (or whatever your package build machine is on). The above example, the deployment server did the build. Certainly there is overhead from the iSeries over other platforms with package builds due to the way an iSeries handles BLOB's - but you should be able to get package build times down to very reasonable speeds similar to the above with perseverance.

Hi Mike,

Is there an antivirus running on the Deployment server?
If so, is there an exception not to scan d:\jdedwards\e812?

Jon,

Those are some great numbers.
Would you mind posting your clientpkgbuild.log and serverbuild.log files so I can pinpoint my bottlenecks?

Thanks.

Back