MTR/Rule of thumb for 8.12 Developer workstation

gregglarkin

gregglarkin

Legendary Poster
Does anyone have an MTR, or better yet, a tried rule of thumb MTR for an 8.12 developer workstation? I poked around Oracle's MTR page, it has everything but a developer workstation listed.

We will be doing development against a SQL database, intel enterprise server, 8.12, and OAS running on intel server.

Thanks,

Gregg Larkin
North American JDE Systems Engineer, Global Fusion Middleware Administrator
Praxair, Inc.

Greg,

In the last year and a half I've set up about a dozen 8.12 fat clients. This is my own opinion, but I've found that the more memory the better. Our developers are using machines with 2 GB of memory. We tried using machines with 1 and 1.5 GB and it was just not sufficient for the local web instance. Beyond that you need enough local space for each environment (we're averaging about 3.5 GB per environment), as well as room for the local JAS (we're using webphere express) and Visual Studio 2003 (local compiler).

Hope this helps.

I've been messing around with setting up virtual machines for developer workstations lately, and so far, any current CPU with 1-2 GB of RAM should be sufficient. I've allocated 30 GB of disk space for the image, and I haven't used more than 20 GB so far.

These VMs are loaded with SQL Management Studio for SQL 2005, Visual Studio .NET 2003, Office 2003, and 3 path codes worth of development objects.

Thanks Ken, Wally and Charles.

I think I have a good picture now of what we need.

Gregg

Since you are running OAS, you will not need a separate local web server like websphere express. OAS client is embedded. Just make sure you copy the correct jar files and the JDK needed.
These are listed in the web development client guide.

Back