Alter size of Job Description in F986110

msouterblight1

VIP Member
All,

Due to the way the job description is recorded when a job is submitted (The date and time stamp are placed at the end), some of the version names are being truncated. We want to be sure that the whole version name is included in the description. I was looking at increasing the size of the field (it's currently 30), but this would involve changing the dd item, and also changing the physical structure of the table. I was wondering if anyone else had done this, or if they had another solution.

Thanks.

Matthew

Not sure which release you're on, but in Xe this happens when the job number reaches 7 or more digits. JDE, for reasons humans cannot comprehend, decided to truncate the version from the job name when the length exceeds 30 characters. Yes, that means they truncate from the middle rather than from the end.

The only reasonable solution is to reset the next job number in F986111 to something with less than 7 digits.

This post caught my eye. I just counted...our iseries jobs truncate after 29 characters and the windows app server after 30. Thank you for the solution to resolve entirely, but still, is there something I need to change on my as400 to get that 30th character back?

tarkan
confused.gif

Hmm, somehow that number, 29, rang a bell. It does indeed truncate at 29 characters, not 30.

For instance, we have some UBEs that have 8-character names, with 9-character versions. When the job number is 6 digits or less, no problem, JDE shows job names like R5542565_CP0001ASC_123456_PDF in Work with Submitted Jobs. But when the job number hits 7 digits, the job names are R5542565_CP0001AS_1234567_PDF. The version name is truncated from the right, but the semi-useful job number is intact, as is the completely useless "_PDF" (which just wastes 4 characters).

None of this is a problem, if you use sufficiently short UBE names (R551, anyone?) and/or version names (V1), or if you never need to extract and use the version from the job name. For us, it doesn't really cause problems in JDE, but it does cause problems with Create!Form products. To avoid problems, we reset the job number in SVM7333.F986111 whenever it gets to about 950000 or so.

From a programming perspective, this odd method of truncating the job name is pure genius, if only because there's such a fine line between genius and insanity.

Thank you everyone for your answers, and thank you for reading through the mistake in my posting (I stated that the date/time stamp is added to the description, I meant the job number)..

Matthew

When the Enterprise Server is Unix the PDF file name is equal to the Job Description, there is no automatic filename extension as it is in Windows. Not sure how this is in AS400.

I think there was a limitation of 30 or 31 characters in a file name in some platforms back when Oneworld was being developed.

Back