Virtualizing Development Full Clients

Dan Campanelli

We are running E1 8.11 with tools release 8.96.1.2. In the past I have used a bank of workstations setting in a dark corner of the data center that developers and implementers used Remote Desktop to access for any development work. I am trying to migrate to virtual machines using Microsoft Virtual Server. I have configured two virtual machines, installed all the necessary S/W for a development full client. I am seeing varying results when using the machines. Sometimes they work fine. Other times they hang for extended periods and sometimes go completely out to lunch.

Does anyone have any experience virtualizing development full clients? Any words of wisdom?

I personally use VMWare Server (its free) - and have had excellent results with both Xe and with 8.12.

I wouldn't suggest "virtualizing" your machines (ie, using a Physical to Virtual converter) - instead, I'd build the virtual workstation from scratch. That seems to work pretty well.

Ditto to what Jon said. I just wanted to add that so far, the beta VMWare Server 2 works just fine with E812 and Tools Release 8.96.2.2.

You might find yourself ahead of the game if you configure from scratch. Then after you've got one VM looking just the way you want it, you can clone it as many times as you need.

I know I personally prefer the "clean" approach, as opposed to trying to figure out what was wrong on the original PC when something like you describe happens.

I agree to what both Jon and Ken have said.

I am using the VMWare with 8.11 SP1 Tools Release 8.97.1.5. I have 15 virtuals running. It works great. It is also very easy to clone another one when a new developer or consultant is hired.

This virtual is a very, very cool technology. It helps relieve a lot of headaches.

Good luck, Dan!

Same here - we are currently implementing JDE 8.12 Tools Release 8.96.2.

Using VMware we have 25 virtuals running. Very easy to clone a new one when we need another fat client.

Saves a lot of time and effort.

Back