Supplemental Database

JRev

List,

Does anyone out there use or know about the supplemental item database? We have used just about all of our Item Category Codes as I'm sure many of you have done as well.. I have heard about the Supplemental Database (menu G4124) and have been playing around with it in OW. One of my coworkers used it in World, but we can't seem to link it to the items in F4101 for Oneworld.

Does anyone know of any white papers out there for this DB for Oneworld? Also, if anyone could give me a brief description, that would be great as well. Your help is greatly appreciated...

Justin Revoredo
JDE Project Leader
Amersham Pharmacia Biotech
OW B733.2 SP11.1 As/400 Oracle

Justin,

In Supplemental Database Setup, P00091, you would choose the Inventory by
Item code (I), then go to Work With Data Types. Here, you define the types
of supplemental data that you want to maintain about items. You can define
as manay different data types as you need; you may not use all data types
for every item. The data types basically allow you to define the column
headings that appear and also to set up UDC tables to validate certain
columns.
Once you have the data types defined, you can enter data for an item using
Supplemental Data by Item, P00092. Enter an item number, click "Find", and
you should see the various data types you created. Select the one(s) for
which you want to enter data for that item. You can enter as many rows of
data for that data type as you wish, for that particular item.
You'll notice that, after you have entered data for a data type, a green
check mark will appear in the left-hand column that normally indicates
attachments. This allows you to see quickly what types of supplemental data
has been entered for a given item.

This is a pretty quick overview; hope it is of some help.

Tim Lyons, CFPIM
Brij Information Solutions
336-808-3415
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>

Justin,

In Supplemental Database Setup, P00091, you would choose the Inventory by
Item code (I), then go to Work With Data Types. Here, you define the types
of supplemental data that you want to maintain about items. You can define
as manay different data types as you need; you may not use all data types
for every item. The data types basically allow you to define the column
headings that appear and also to set up UDC tables to validate certain
columns.
Once you have the data types defined, you can enter data for an item using
Supplemental Data by Item, P00092. Enter an item number, click "Find", and
you should see the various data types you created. Select the one(s) for
which you want to enter data for that item. You can enter as many rows of
data for that data type as you wish, for that particular item.
You'll notice that, after you have entered data for a data type, a green
check mark will appear in the left-hand column that normally indicates
attachments. This allows you to see quickly what types of supplemental data
has been entered for a given item.

This is a pretty quick overview; hope it is of some help.

Tim Lyons, CFPIM
Brij Information Solutions
336-808-3415
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
Thanks Tim. It helps. How do we get those columns on F4101 grid ?

Thanks Tim. It helps. How do we get those columns on F4101 grid ?
I have recent experience with supplemental data. It's a great program. I'm answering this assuming you're on R22/23. If you're not, I suspect you might be stuck with a customization.

Without a "true" customization to incorporate supplemental data into the business view (and there's a big giant catch on that front, see next paragraph) you're stuck with tying a lookup to the grid record fetched event and using a logic extension or orchestration to populate grid columns. This can be a heavy lift if you have need to grab lots of grid rows from the database.

Regardless if you try to customize the BV, roll your own BV and frontend, make a copy of Item Master and customize, etc., you are dealing with 2 possibilities: 1) that there might be more than 1 record associated to a given detail line in your supplemental data, and 2) that there might NOT be a record in supplemental data for the given line.

I think it's too messy to try to incorporate at the item master grid level. I think you're better served figuring out a way to "display" if there is supplemental data for a given item or not, and only use a combination of UDOs and row/form exits to go see the data.

I almost completely forgot-- CafeOne might be a good choice here! "Link" Item Master to Supplemental Data.

Use downstream reporting or extracts to get all the data together rather than the more rigid live view. My $0.02

I have recent experience with supplemental data. It's a great program. I'm answering this assuming you're on R22/23. If you're not, I suspect you might be stuck with a customization.

Without a "true" customization to incorporate supplemental data into the business view (and there's a big giant catch on that front, see next paragraph) you're stuck with tying a lookup to the grid record fetched event and using a logic extension or orchestration to populate grid columns. This can be a heavy lift if you have need to grab lots of grid rows from the database.

Regardless if you try to customize the BV, roll your own BV and frontend, make a copy of Item Master and customize, etc., you are dealing with 2 possibilities: 1) that there might be more than 1 record associated to a given detail line in your supplemental data, and 2) that there might NOT be a record in supplemental data for the given line.

I think it's too messy to try to incorporate at the item master grid level. I think you're better served figuring out a way to "display" if there is supplemental data for a given item or not, and only use a combination of UDOs and row/form exits to go see the data.

I almost completely forgot-- CafeOne might be a good choice here! "Link" Item Master to Supplemental Data.

Use downstream reporting or extracts to get all the data together rather than the more rigid live view. My $0.02
I'll second Dave's suggestion about using a Cafe One layout to display the Supplemental Data based on the Item selected within Item Master. I'm currently working on a Cafe One layout for address book supplemental data, and it works great!

Back