Advancing Tasks

daveschultz

Well Known Member
I am a new CNC so bear with me if this is a dumb question. We make menu design changes in our DV environment. To this point I have been using a version of R98403 set up by a consultant to advance the changes from DV to our other environments. The problem, is that I think it is overwriting peoples favorites that they have created in PD.

Question - Does everyone use OMW to advance their tasks, or is there some data selection that can be applied so as not to overwrite peoples favorites?

E812 Tools 8.96.1.4

thanks

Dave

I personally don't recomend using favorites. The main reason is if someone changes a menu to use a different verion of an application, their favorites will not reflect this change, so when they use their favorites they will be accessing an improper version of an app.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone use favorites?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but don't tell my daughter that she isn't the favorite.
grin.gif

I'm on XE, I set up a few favorites for myself a long time ago. The main things I use in the application are security workbench, user profile, and user security. I use my favorites daily. That being said, I agree with the other poster, they are a nice idea but a pain in the backside. If you maintian your menus in DV, then yes, you are screwing up people's favorites when you promote up to PD. XE doesn't use OMW for solution explorer menus, so I do my menus backwards. I build them in PD and push them downwards to DV.

Gregg

We also use favorites - extensively here.
Our solution to the loss of favorites problem is the same as Gregg's - maintain in PD.

They're really too valuable to not use. Out of our whole upgrade to from XE to 8.9 years ago the only thing the users really liked out of it was the menu favorites.

Cheers,

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone use favorites?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes we are using Favorites. We are just getting 8.12 up. The CNC consultant we started with would always use OMW to just copy a couple tables from DV to each of the other 4 environments. And yes, that wipes out Favorites in those environments.

I've created a MSSQL 2005 script that I run that just deletes then copies the Task table (F9000 & F9001) records for our custom menu from DV to each of our other environments.

In case someone is interested, I've attached the script. There is no error trapping or recovery in it. I just run it from Server Management Studio. (I had to change the file extension from .sql to .txt to get it uploaded.)

Attachments

• 129985-CopyPMCMenus-Only.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 221
Hi...a simple question, sorry but I last used 7.33 and now I'm using 8.12. How do you add to Favorites?

We are on 8.10 right now and created Custom Task Views (55 & 59) in DV810 and are using the Record Copy application (P9864A) to only copy those two Task Views to production. Because we have 24 Production environments, we created a UBE to duplicate P9864A. The Favorites are Task View 98, so doing this copy does not impact Favorites. However, we are now in the process of attempting to upgrade to 8.12, and P9864A not longer exists. Hopefully our UBE will still work for us on 8.12.

Dave Schleicher
LOGIS
8.10 8.96_H1 going to 8.12 8.97.1.3

Back