Web Performance and VirusScan Software

cncjunior1

Reputable Poster
Hello List,

We're running 8.12 with 896.2.2 on OAS on Windows with an iSeries Enterprise server. We've noticed that users accessing the web client that have virus scan running have much slower performance than users that don't have it running. This is espescially noticable on apps that use power forms.

My question is, does anyone know of any exclusions that can be set to get around this? We tried to exclude the temporary internet files location but that didn't seem to work. We are using McAfee Enterprise 8.0.

Thank you.

Hi,

I recommend you to run FileMonNT on your Web Client
while opening a Web session, the trace is quite huge
but will definitely help you identify which local
folders are being accessed on a JDE Web session.

AV probably hooks into IE directly. It needs to look at every bit of code IE executes - a lot of malicious software can be contained in the code of WEB pages. You don't really want to disable AV because of this. Or you may need to entirely disable all and any Internet access ourside of JDE.

On the other hand, if you turn to using some other browser, the chances are McAfee will not have any plugins for it...

The below increased our web performance on our Citrix terminal servers
for EO810. This is from a post I inquired about back in Nov. 2006

In addition to disabling 'ScriptScan' in McAfee I can also recommend to
exclude files like 'E1*.htm' from scanning.

Re: RE: Web Performance and VirusScan Software

Thanks for the feedback. I tested disabling the ScriptScan and that seemed to resolve the performance issue but I don't think our site admin will want to disable that since that opens a big vulnerability hole. I also tried disabling the 'E1*.htm' files but it didn't seems to make any difference. Is there any way to exclude web sites or specific files from the ScriptScan?

Re: RE: Web Performance and VirusScan Software

I found out that in McAfee 8.5 you can exclude Script Scan for certain processes. I'm assuming that iexplore.exe is the process that receives and processes all the temp internet files that contain the javascripts within the pages. Does anyone know if there are any other processes involved in the whole process? Thank you.

Hi We also found this problem that Virus Scanning causes very noticeable performance slow downs when launching or switching applications. I have not found settings within the virus scanning product to improve the situation, however I have found vast differences between versions and products. my test is to open P4210 10 times and close it 10 times from fast path while waiting for the app finish displaying.
I've found mcafee 8.0 to be the slowest, mcafee 8.5i to be faster, and Kaspersky 6 AVP to be the fastest.

Back