Managing HTML server ports for web client access

DSauve

DSauve

Legendary Poster
We currently access our HTML server from a web client by using a URL like:

http://<servername>.<domain>:<port>/jde/E1Menu.maf

The problem is that when we do a Tools Release upgrade, we use a different port # than we do for the older tools release.

So when we upgrade Tools Releases, we'd have to go to every web client and change the URL to reference the new port #, which is a ridiculous exercise. I have to believe there's a better way. Any ideas on a way to hide the port # from users so they can just use an alias?

Depending on what you are using for your HTTP Server, there are a number of ways to do that. With OAS, you can use the WebCache feature to rewrite the alias to the proper port. With IBM HTTP Server, you can use Apache directives in HTTPD.CONF to do the same thing.

You could also modify your DNS server to redirect the alias to the proper place.

Hi,

we have customers on a similar configuration BUT we do not have the issue you mention as I go about the upgrade of the tools releases slightly differently.

We always do it in multi foundation to start with - BUT that has effectively no difference on the web server part of the upgrade.

Firstly I back up the web server instance for the pathcode we are upgrading (i.e. D:\OAS\OraHome_1\j2ee\JasOC4JDev gets copied to D:\OAS\OraHome_1\j2ee_8.96.1.2\JasOC4JDev)

I then unistall that web instance from add remove programs.

I normally see a numbered incremental reference in Start / Remove programs like JD Edwards® | EnterpriseOne HTML Web Server_9

If you then look in the registry for Server_x for the uninstall path (where x is the incremented number) you can see which of the pathcodes is the one you want to unistall.

I use the correct entry in Start / Remove programs to unistall that pathcode. I then use the JDE installer to install the new tools release with the same credentials as the one I have removed (including port number).

Once installed I compare the main config files for any new additions that JDE have included (jas.ini / jdbj.ini) and add them to a copy of the backed up ones and then place the amended ones in the same location as the new ones. I then copy over the tnsnames.ora file. I also copy back any image files and amend the web.xml file to update the timeout value and other files that we have customised as well.

Everything should be OK now and therefore you should only have to start the instance in OAS Console and all should be operational.

The http.conf file still has the original settings from the original install (including the port number) so no changes needed there.

I normally do the same thing as Terry to uninstall the old instance for an environment, and install the new instance with the same port number.

That said, the other part of the question talks about creating an alias so the users don't even have to bother with the port number. The easiest way to do this in OAS is to use the WebCache feature, which you hopefully have installed.

There used to be a separate document on how to configure the WebCache, but it has been incorporated into the 8.96 JAS OAS installation manual that was revised as of May 2007. Follow this link to get that document.

Back