Installation of SQL 2005

Rabih

Hello all,

We have EnterpriseOne JDE 8.11 SP1 TR 8.96G1 running on SQL Server 2000.

I want to install SQL 2005 on my machine only, but the main server has SQL 2000, so when I run certain queries on my machine, does this create any problem on the server? I mean if wanna update certain data on the server using my machine which has SQL 2005, does this affect our data negatively? Please advise...

As far as I know, you can run Management Studio and manipulate data in SQL Server 2000 databases. That is how I get to data on MSDE on my fat clients. I haven't seen any problems yet ... (knock on wood)

The potential problems may arise when you try to access data on your SQL2000 server with a client that has newer version of MDAC than SQL server itself. If you change version of MDAC on your computer, you should also consider to update stored procedures on your SQL2000 server to bring them to the compatible version. For this you run instcat.sql script supplied by MDAC version that you use on your client.

SQL 2005 server installation doesn’t necessarily update MDAC version – it depend on what is your MDAC level already. The last distributable version of MDAC is 2.8 SP1, since MDAC are now a part of OS and are not released alone.

Besides different MDAC version, SQL 2005 server presence on your computer (client) doesn’t concern your SQL 2000 server, so you can safely install SQL 2005.

Back