Xe to 8.11 SP1 8.97 Upgrade - platform pack in upgrade mode

Bartek Czupa

Bartek Czupa

Xe upgrade to E8.11 SP1 8.97 on a duplicated set of machines:

8.11 deployment server – new machine, different name
8.11 enterprise + database server – new machine, different name

Following the upgrade guide and I tried to start platform pack on the enterprise server in “upgrade” mode, but installer was complaining: “could not detect the Business Data (and the Control Tables)” suggesting to switch to “install” mode.

I was only able to select “EterpriseOne Foundation” and “ES Pristine” but no other pathcode. So only pristine can be “upgraded”, what about others ?

What the Platform pack in upgrade mode is looking for when trying to detect Business Data and Control Tables, and how to force it to detect them right ?

I tried to run platform pack on both:

1. Clean and fresh new system (just ODBC set up)
2. Enterprise server first preinstalled with Xe, JDE Network and Queue services started, PORTTEST run successfully, so basically - fully working Enterprise server

Deployment installation is done, pristine upgrade finished (done locally on Deployment) now time for DV, but Enterprise installation stacked on platform pack.

Am I missing some important points about the Xe Upgrade Proccess?

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thx.

The idea with installing the Platform Pack as an Upgrade is that the components of an older E1 installation are already there.

Since you have a separate Enterprise Server, do you have a copy of Business Data and Control Tables on the new Enterprise Server to try the upgrade? Did you select Typical or Custom installation type?

Installation assumes you are installing everything from scratch. Upgrade means that only Pristine is there to start with. You will have no Pristine coming up from Xe.

You then have one environment, where you upgrade the Business Data and Control Tables through the Installation Planner and Table Conversion Workbench. Your customized objects that you want to keep are merged into E811.

I'm sorry, but it seems you have not been through an upgrade process before. The list of things to watch for and things that can go wrong is a lot. If this is your first time going through this, I would suggest contacting a business partner or other consultant to help you through the process. I don't know if you've implemented the HTML client in your Xe configuration, but if not, you have to have it for E811, and that's just one more new element to deal with that will take a while to learn.

OK, I hope, I see your point.

Yes, I have a copy of Business Data and Control Tables on the new Enterprise. This is a custom upgrade. The selected solution for HTML client is IIS + WAS. We want to bring forward to a E811 all Business Data and customization done in Xe (all with code 59 – mainly barcode label printing solution and various reports)

I have an experience of installing various version of JDE starting from version Xe trough 8.9, 8.10 and 8.11 since my company keeps independent installation in each site and every new installation in usually done using the current version of JDE at the time of installation.

But this is the first site that goes trough upgrade to the newer version and the upgrade process is new to me.

So this is a good news and it means that all is OK with the upgrade process. In other words the platform pack run in upgrade mode is not supposed to load any other environments that pristine itself since we will upgrade other environments through the Installation Planner and Table Conversion Workbench. Sorry but this is not so clearly enough stated in the upgrade guide. I thought platform pack will create new databases for E811 and that it is a required step to go forward.

As to finding a business partner or a good consultant locally, here in Poland, it may be a task more ambitious then you think.

Thanks, I understand that you confirm what I put above in bold ?

Hi Bartek,

When you run the install in upgrade mode, it looks
for default data libraries PRODDTA, PRODCTL, CRPDTA,
CRPCTL, TESTDTA and TESTCTL.
Pristine is actually never upgraded, it's installed on
top of the existing release. You can't launch any upgrade
without having Pristine installed, it's a mandatory
environment for the upgrade process.
If you have those libraries on your Enterprise Server,
then check if the Platform Pack installation user has
appropiate rights to read/write on them.

Now I’m confused. What do you mean by “data libraries” ? It sound like files to me. What specifically I should look for?

Question: if I want to upgrade PD7333 from Xe to E8.11 should I first run Platform Pack installation in upgrade mode on the Enterprise server with “ES Production” selected?

In a meantime, I started all over from the start, this time both machines keeps previous names, so I can eliminate at least one source of my potentials problems.

I don't recall that it loads business data other than Pristine. You will need to check to see if a copy of Central Objects is loaded for the other path codes, as you will need a database to merge the old version's objects into.

There should also be a copy of the path code for the other environments. If it so happens that only the PS811 files are loaded, it shouldn't be a big deal to copy the Pristine path code files to a new directory for DV811 and PY811, though I would say it was odd that it didn't do that already.

Did you run the Platform Pack from downloaded files, or burned CD?

Hi,

Sorry... data libraries is an AS/400 jargon.
In AS/400 it would be "table owner" such as proddta.f0911

Once again..., I reread my last e-mail and wasn't clear.

PRODDTA library in AS/400 is equivalent to table owner
in MS-SQL.
PRODDTA/F0911 in AS/400 = PRODDTA.F0911 in MSSQL

Platform Pack downloaded from edelivery. Run in upgrade mode it only created:

PS_PRIST811
PS_PS811
PS811

No other environment was possible to select then PRISTINE and no other was initialized.

Yes, PRODDTA.F0911 is a valid table from JDE_PRODUCTION database and ‘Business Data – PROD’ is ODBC for it.

It all turn out to be a problem with SQL 2005 server installed on the enterprise server in question.

When Platform Pack is run in upgrade mode on server with SQL 2005 installed it don’t detect any previous environments, no mater how ODBC are set up (SQL Driver or SQL Native Client) and hence don’t initialize them (create database, load path code files)

To clear what Platform pack run in upgrade mode should or shouldn’t do:

It should load all standard environments selected (DV,PD,PY,JD), provided that corresponding databases from previous version exist and ODBC are configured (standard datasources). Besides ODBC it can be a brand new installation, no previous Xe services, files, registry setting etc. is needed

I changed SQL 2005 to SQL 2000 and Platform Pack run in upgrade mode just fine, and loaded all environments.

I don’t have time to investigate this any deeper so I will leave this just like this since there is no problem to change SQL server later, after upgrade. Thanks all for their help.

Back