Object not showing when doing update package

Arie

Arie

Hi,

I create a new version of a report in DV. I'd like to promote this version to PD. After advancing the status from 21->26->28->38, I ran update package in PD, and when I try to find the new version, it's not there. I've tried the update package on both the deployment server and fat client.

Could someone help me please ?

Thank you,
Arie
XE SP23_J1, iSeries, DB2/400

Make sure the version you're trying to build exists in the F983051 file in your Versions - PDxx data source and try selecting All Versions when assembling the update package. Also, are you logged into the PD environment when assembling the package? When assembling an update package you have to be logged into the environment you are building the package for because the package assembly looks at the environment you're logged into and selects the versions to build based off of that environment.

I've seen this issue before with versions when the report object has not been included in the project, and the poject does not have the report object token. You may want to try checking out the report object under the project where your version is and checking it back in.

Laurie

Um, that's not entirely true. The objects won't be visible (for example) in DV, if you created the objects in PY or PD. If the correct procedures were followed, the object was created in DV and promoted to PY and PD. Thus, the object is visible in all environments, and it makes no difference which one you're logged into when building the update package. We've built about a brazilian update packages over the last several years, and we always build them while logged into DV. Not a single problem with that arrangement.

One thing that WILL NOT WORK is trying to build an update package from the deployment server, if the package contains new objects. The deployment server can't see new objects until a package is built and deployed. For new objects, you'll have to build your update packages on a fat client (we build all our update packages on a fat client). Strangely, this is not the case with full packages -- those can (and should) be built on the deployment server, and will include new objects even if the objects haven't been built into another package.

I tried to get someone at JDE to explain that obvious discrepancy -- the deployment server can see new objects for a full package, but not for an update package -- but the person I talked to was completely unable to explain (not the first "feature" of JDE that no one could explain).

It seems to me, if the deployment server can see the objects for a full package, it should be able to see them for an update package. Unfortunately, there's some fundamental and unexplainable difference in how the objects for the two package types are assembled.

Hi,

Here's the step that I do to do the update package :

1. On fat client, create a new version
2. Check in the version, advance the project from 21 -> 26 -> 28 -> 38
3. Log off from DV, log in to PD on the same fat client
4. Ran the update package
5. On the object selection screen, try to find the newly created version and can't find it.
6. Log off from PD, log in to DV on the same fat client
7. Change the status of the project back to 21.
8. Check out the version, check back in
9. Advance the project, 21 -> 26 -> 28 -> 38
10. Log off from DV, log in to PD
11. Ran the update package, the same thing happened again. I can't find the new version.

I checked F983051 on PD7333 as suggested, the newly version is not there. As far as the log, it doesn't give any message of error at all.

Arie
XE SP 23 J1, iSeries, DB2/400

Back