Database Settings

daveschultz

Well Known Member
We have recently went live JDE, E812, tools 8.96.1.4. We are running the enterprise server and database server on the same Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition server. Since we went live we have been getting several instances where the database connection is maxing out (I believe this is related to memory). We are seeing several ORA errors including 12547, 03114, and TNS 12502. We have since added the /3GB and /PAE to our boot.ini (we have 16 GB of RAM). Can anyone reccommend some database settings to best take advantage of our server resources? We are on Oracle 9.2.0.6. We are seeing things max out with only about 30 concurrent users, we then have to reboot to free everything up.

Thanks,

Dave

I just went through this with another client. Those errors point to connections either lost, or unable to be made. The client also ran out of connections, and had to reboot the server to get them back.

There were two things that we did. We tuned Oracle so that it used automatic memory management, had at least 1000 processes, and ensured that PGA, SGA, and other memory pools were large.

On the JAS server, it was configured with timeout values in the JDBJ.INI that essentially held a connection open forever (<value>=-1).

These two things in combination helped tremendously, but still didn't make the problem completely go away, though that is mostly due to other configuration issues (running on 4 GB of RAM on Windows 2003 Standard).

Keep in mind that on 32-bit Windows, even though it's Enterprise Edition, there is a limit to the amount of memory that can be used by Oracle. Of course, you probably already know this because you have put the /3GB and /PAE flags on.

What we ultimately did at the client was to put a new server in, running 64-bit Windows and 64-bit Oracle, and leave the existing Enterprise Server as an Application/UBE/Logic Server.

Try the memory adjustments first, before you go through the more drastic step of adding another server to your configuration.

Thanks very mcuh for the info Ken. Just to clarify, did you change the timeout value in the JDBJ TO -1 or FROM -1?

I had to change it FROM -1, which means it won't timeout at all (I don't know why somebody would do that, but that's the way I found it). And it wasn't just one timeout value, it was several timeout values dealing with results, updates, and transactions.

That's what I thought.

How many concurrent users did they have? We only have about 30.

Dave

Back