JDE Application SAN Configuration

cnote

Hi All,

I have a question regarding the JDE application runtime code. We're going to be configuring our RAID group for the JDE/Oracle databases in RAID 10.

What I'd like to know is if the JDE application runtime should exist locally on the server (RAID 1) of if we should put it on the SAN. Also if we put it on the SAN should we configure the RAID group as a RAID 10 or a RAID 5? Does the application runtime such as (JAS Servers, Deployment Servers, Batch Servers) require the high performance I/O provided by a RAID 10 volume?

In advance your responses are greatly appreciated!

Chris

You don't say which version you are installing. Normally, I would say that the Deployment Server objects and the Enterprise Server objects wouldn't need that level of I/O.

However, with 8.12, the Enterprise Server specs are part of the Central Objects database, and so would automatically benefit from the higher I/O when you put the database on there.

The JAS Servers have always retrieved serialized objects from Central Objedcts, so they benefit too.

Chris,

I agree with Ken. Send a reply to this post with your system specs like you'll see in my signature, and then we can give you a better opinion.

In our shop, we are on XE and the enterprise server, database and code, are on raid 1+0. That is mainly because of the performance needed for the database. The batch, deployment, terminal and web servers don't need that much horsepower, and have just simpiler raid support.

Gregg Larkin
North American JDE System Administrator
Praxair, Inc.

Back