V5R4 Service Pack Requirements

Bill Dotson

Reputable Poster
According to Oracle, SP23_R1 is the minimum level required for V5R4. I'm wondering though, does that mean that SP23_R1 is the minimum SP level that Oracle has certified to work with V5R4? Or is there some horrible fate awaiting me if I try to run an earlier service pack on this release?

I've noticed that Oracle tends not to test older SPs, so it usually means that Oracle has only certified SP23_R1, and hasn't tried anything else. I don't think there is any functionality difference, such as a Service Pack that would contain SQL Server 2005 support. I would consider that to be functionally different because SQL Server 2005 uses a different JDBC driver.

I would worry a little, but only because iSeries Access ODBC drivers have been a little finicky since V5R3. If the AS/400 is on a certain OS, it isn't so tolerant if the ODBC drivers connecting to it are older versions. I know V5R3 pretty much required that you have iSeries Access V5R3 on the fat clients.

I suppose ultimately I would prepare to install it anyway. Hopefully, you've got a test system to try it on before you put Production on it.

That's what we suspect, that it's not practical to test all of the old service packs for a new OS release.

We're migrating from an i520 to an i550, and we'd like to reduce the number of unknowns. Not having to go to a newer JDE service pack would greatly reduce that number. Then again, there may not be a better time to install the new SP.

As for iSeries Access, we always use the version that matches the OS, and stay relatively current with service packs.

Fortunately, we have a decent window to get the new server up and tested, so we may be able to test the idea of not installing the latest and greatest SP.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi Bill,

As the other participants said, Oracle doesn't have the
time to test every possible JDE SP when a new operating
system or database engine is released.

I'm sure they just test on the latest OS and DB available,
and it's quite probable that your SP level will run pretty well on V5R4 even not being MTR-compliant.

On the other hand, the fact of running a non-supported
combination of JDE/OS/DB will put you in a risky
situation : JDE Support Line could deny you its service
just because your server is not MTR-compliant.

Sebastian,

Thanks for the input. Our plan is to give it a go with our current service pack, and we understand the possible implications of a non-supported combination. That seems like less risk than installing a new service pack. If it doesn't work, then we'll have to bite the bullet and install the new service pack anyway. As Donald Rumsfeld would put it, there are known unknowns and unknown unknowns -- we're trying to reduce the number of unknown unknowns.

Obviously, we've been burned too many times in our past relationships with service packs, so we're averse to meeting new service packs. And we don't like changing partners as often as Oracle would like us to. Heck, we've just gotten comfortable leaving the bathroom door open with our current service pack.

Bill

Back