What is an appropriate "timeout" for clients

adri_valentim

Reputable Poster
What is an appropriate \"timeout\" for clients

Hi List

We are starting to implement Web with OAS (8.10 with Service Packs 8.96.1.5) with a few users.

I have readed the threaded:
http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=OW&Number=122583

How to setup "timeout" for clients (jas.ini,jde.ini,jdbj.ini,web.xml,OAS)

What is an appropriate timeout for user? They are complaining that they are getting timeout too fast.

Current Setting:

[CACHE]
# These intervals are in milliseconds. For example, 60000ms = 1 minute
UserSession=2400000
ResultSet=60000
CacheCheck=60000

And WEB-INF: Default of 15 minutes.

Thank you for your advice.

Re: What is an appropriate \"timeout\" for clients

What I generally give users is:

UserSession=5400000 (90 min.)
UserProfile=1200000 (20 min.)
CacheCheck=120000 (2 min.)

ResultSet=180000 (3 min.)

This usually gives users long enough that they don't complain about having to log in all the time.

Also, if users are getting thrown out of an application without hitting these timeout values, check their IE cookies. From Internet Explorer, go to Tools-Internet Options, and go to the Privacy tab. Click on Advanced. Check the box to "Override automatic cookie handling." Check the box for "Always allow session cookies." (Reference: Solution ID 200982629)

[ QUOTE ]

What is an appropriate timeout for user?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on what they did to earn the timeout. No homework usually earns 10 minutes. Fighting with their little brother usually gets 15 minutes.

[ QUOTE ]
It depends on what they did to earn the timeout.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

60 - 90 minutes is reasonable. The users will always expect more and assume it is less. This setting will also depend on how heavily the Web Servers are used or how often the users kill the browser rather than log off.

Thank you Doug and Ken for your replies.

Very helpful!!

Any other comments will still be appreciated!!!!

We currently use 2.5 hours which is a long time, but the users came from JDE World with a timeout of 4 hours. So, getting them to 2.5 hours was a chore.

Good luck!

At my last company, it was "no timeout" due to type A whiners complaining about the possibility of a timeout during a large batch entry. I hope they got that past a SOX audit.

At the company before that, I encountered a request by SOX auditors for 15 minutes (1st year of SOX=knee jerk over-reactions).

Both of those scenarios are not recommended. It really depends on your company structure, organization, culture, etc. I am used to seeing 1-2 hours as a norm. It really boils down to what your organization is comfortable with while balancing business needs with security requirements, in my opinion.

we have 90min timeout and that seems to be good compromise.

Back