update to 8.96.2.2 or 8.97.1?

msjxx

Hey guys,

i have been on ERP 8.0 for years and now moved to a company on 8.12 with TR 8.96.1, so i am a little behind on the latest releases.

they have had a bad implementation, so i am going to be rebuilding all the servers and figured i should do a Tools Release update while i am at it.

Which release would you recommend. I don't want to go to the bleeding edge, but want to get to the latest stable release.

I haven't heard much feedback of 8.97 yet and haven't worked with it myself yet, but it does require OAS 10g R3 or WAS 6.1, so if you want to avoid upgrading those when you're live you may want to consider 8.97 right away.

I think the best "stable" version right now is 8.96.2.2 - 8.97 is a little too cutting edge right now, and I'm steering clear of it for about a month. 8.97 makes some major changes on the deployment server - so expect it to be quite a large change.

Despite the fear of going to a new tools release 8.97 is fine.

However it does introduce several new concepts and is "very different" from the past tools releases.

Seeing how you haven't been engaged on the new technology for sometime I would err on the side of caution and go to 8.96.2.2 for now.

I would also apply SQL Server 2005 SP2 and Windows 2003 SP2. Rebuild indices, optimize tempdb, go whatever you have to do to make the system stable.

Go for all the low hanging fruit and once that's done then you can consider 8.97.

Sorry........this is less of a question as to "what tools release is stable" and more of a question as to "how do I turn a bad implementation into a good one".

Colin

Tools Release 8.97 doesn't require WAS 6.1.

It works fine on WAS 6.0.2.22 or WAS 6.1

The big change for 8.97 is it does require OAS 10.1.3 so anyone on OAS also has to upgrade OAS when they install 8.97.

Colin

It "requires" OAS???????

For what???

So if you're a WAS customer you have no choice but to
get OAS (I presume in the Red Stack) as well as have
your Blue Stack???

I'd appreciate some clarification on that.

Thanks,

I have to respect and defer to AltQuark's opinion on this.

Unless your customers are screaming for 8.97, I would not recommend it. There isn't anything fundamentally improved in 8.97 at this point. The tools in 8.97 do not have anything already provided for in previous tools releases. 8.96.2 has the same basic CNC technologies as 8.97. IMHO, 8.97 just takes a holistic (sp?) approach to SAW, deployment, performance management and change assistant from a CNC perspective.

If you really want to cut and bleed, you can put down 8.97. If, OTOH, you just stabilize 8.12, update to 8.96.2.2. I am seeing some folks struggle with JDE support on the new tools release. This is typical with JDE's new tool releases.

There are some new development tools features in 8.97 (eg. concurrent FDA/RDA design operations ) and some changes in foundation code deployment. The other changes are merely organizational from a CNC perspective.

JMHO.

.......sorry for the confusion.

If you're on OAS you need 10.1.3 not 10.1.2

If you're on WAS you can use 6.0.2.22 or 6.1.0.9

You need only one product not both.

Back