MS SQL Server Desktop Engine not installing

FNorelli

FNorelli

Well Known Member
Tools release 8.96.21. Client package was created with web development features. When installing the full package I get the screen for Third Party Application MSDE. I check the box and click Next. MS SQL Server Desktop Engine starts to install. The heat bar says 9 secs remaining, then goes all the way down to 2 seconds remaining. A directory called MSSQL$JDELocal is created. Then the heat bar reverts backwards, the directory gets removed, and the package installation progresses to the next screen without installing MSDE. The JDEINSTAL log shows nothing related to this attempted installation. I do not see a releated service nor do I see anything in Add/Remove programs. So the MSDE application tries to install and fails.
Please advise on how to resolve this matter.

Suggestion from Solution ID 200812192: Look at your running Services from Control Panel-Administrative Tools. Is the "Server" service running? It needs be started for MSDE to install completely.

Use attachment to see what is missing - it may be because you didn't install it with Windows.

Attachments

• 128212-Server service start.jpg
    128212-Server service start.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 121
Is the workstation running Windows XP Pro? Is "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" enabled on the Properties of your network connection? If so, then you may need to uninstall and reinstall it to get the Server service back.

Other suggestions before you try the install again:

- Remove any existing MSSql$Jdelocal files and folders.
- Install a current MDAC (at least 2.8).

Back