DSI & 8.96 Tools Release

DMiller

Hi there -
Is there anyone out there running DSI and on Tools Release 8.96 in Production? We had heard rumored (back in July) that there were problems with the 8.96 tools release and the way XML was working with DSI.

We want to upgrade our tools release but because our company is so heavily integrated with DSI, I need to make sure this issue has been fixed.
Thanks a lot!

Hi Diane,

We're on 8.12 TR 8.96.1.5 according to our CNC. We are currently having issues with our DSI handhelds throwing a TAMInitSharedMemory - TAM Semaphore Error Access is denied. Haven't sorted it out yet but we're working on it. Stay tuned. If anyone has "been there and done that" please barge in and fill the gap please...

I've got one client live on 8.10/8.96.1.X using DSI. No issues and they've been live for years.

I've got another one testing 8.12/8.96.1.5 soon to be 8.97.0.1 but this issue doesn't ring a bell.

Colin

I did have problems on one of my sites with 8.96 and occasional "hanging" DSI requests. To be clear though, it wasn't actually DSI specific. I was able to reproduce the issue using the JXMLTool testing tool. In our case this issue only showed up on HP-UX. We therefore moved to Windows where we sit today for DSI processing. We have found issues with multi-threaded call object kernels and the way DSI calls JDE business functions. Moving to a dedicated windows logic server allowed us to put the DSI calls into single-threaded mode.

The source of the problem seems to sit in the XML Dispatch kernel.

JDE has delivered some fixes for the hanging request issue on HP-UX. It reduced the frequency but did eliminate completely them to our satisfaction. That being said this site will be moving soon to 8.97 and a dedicated HP-UX logic server for DSI. I spent a lot of time working this issue with JDE under 8.96 and my hope is that they have fixed the issue in 8.97.

I can't speak for iSeries or other Unix flavors as I don't have any sites on those platforms using DSI.

I attached a document given to us by our DSI rep notifing us that there is an issue with DSI integrating with 8.96. They told us they think the issue is resolved in 8.96.2.1 or 8.96.2.2.

Attachments

• 128488-DSI XML Kernel Processing Issue Call.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 148
Hi,

I'm also having DSI "null pointer" and TAM
Semaphore errors on Tools 8.96.1.5 running on AIX 5.3
and UDB/DB2 8.1.7.
So far, I'm manually restarting services once a week to
workaround this problem, has anyone tried DSI on 8.96.2.1?

We had similar hangups in DSI after going to 8.9.6 caused by the XML dispatch kernel. We were given a POC that fixed it and the SAR is 8475705. We have not had a problem since, that was in July.

We had a memory leak in the XML Kernel (only DSI calls it here) , this was on Tools Release 8.9.5 last January. It was a small leak on each transaction. We do about 10,000 dsi transactions a day. Eventually after enough transactions processed it would crash JDE on our enterprise server. Got another POC to fix, the SAR is 8255219 - I believe it made release in 8.96_H1

Just a note - we are on tools 8.96.2.1 and there were a number of fixes we received from Oracle addressing memory leaks in the XML caller and some other related functions. We received the fixes by referencing the above sar's - Oracle looked into it and provided POCs for us.

Back