Submitted Jobs come from where?

BBritain

VIP Member
Well, you guys are doing great so far so here is a new question. We had a report that started working after a new package build was deployed to the server. When the testers tried to run it from a Citrix station they were getting errors. The CNC responsible person stated that this was expected because the Citrix machines couldn't get packages deployed during working hours.

So I asked: "So Citrix needs the package even though this is a submitted job running on the server?"

The response was "When you submit the job it is using specs from the client...".

So is this true? Because if it is, why do we need server packages? Can someone give me a basic understanding of this?

Ben again,

if the batch job is submitted to logic server, then the batch job is using the specification in logic server, not the fat client or citrix.

Wow. That question was about as clear as mud. However, I think you're asking whether a server uses specifications from a client when a UBE is running - and the answer is actually partly "yes". Version specifications are stored on the client, and when a user submits a UBE, they have the ability to change processing options and/or data selection etc. As such, those specifications are "copied" to the enterprise server and are merged with the original specifications at launch time. If you change the processing option template, therefore, for that UBE - then you need to deploy the change everywhere to ensure that it works correctly.

Now, remember, these are "overrides" to specifications that were deployed as part of the server package - so if you were going to launch a UBE using, say, a scheduler or a command line, it would use the specifications that are stored on the server. However, it is important to note that if a user launches a UBE with changes to a version, then the scheduler/command line would also pick up those specifications. This often results in either runaway jobs or incorrect scheduler results because the server is launching the "last ran" set of specifications (the workaround for this is to have scheduler jobs have their own versions, and secure them away from users). You still need server packages - its only the versions that get copied up to the server.

Now, when you deploy specifications (packages) to a server, the server places all the queues on "hold" while it goes through the deployment, and restarts the queues afterwards. However, clients (specificially citrix/TSE clients) don't have the ability to do this - you need to kick off the users from the citrix box to be able to deploy the specifications (package). Usually in a farm, its common practice to take some of the citrix servers offline, install the package, place them back in the farm and take the rest offline for a package deployment - but you really shouldn't deploy packages during regular working hours anyway.

Hope that answers the question !

Well Jon, it gets me closer.

We have had a problem (on another post) where a report was running ok (displaying all lines)when run locally, but was only displaying 10 records when the report was submitted to the server. It was a simple report. The only business function was to go and get Account Description (standard unmodified function). I copied this report and ripped some things out of it (Level break sections) and asked CNC to get a new package deployed. I left the original report in the project because I suspected a bad deployment as the reason the ube wasn't running in the first place.

After the new package, The report would run when submitted to the server from a fat client (the description stopped working), but wouldn't run at all when submitted from the Citrix terminal (which hadn't received the package). Now the version has NO OVERRIDES WHATSOEVER. No differences in POs, Data Selection, Data Sequencing. Why would the report run differently when kicked off from a local fat client as compared to a Citrix terminal?

One of the things that I don't know is whether Citrix logs on to the same environment?

Since I am thouroughly confused, one last question. If a report runs differently from local to server - what kinds of things could be the problem - that are not CNC related?

Ben again,

Pls re-deploy the package as it seems to be specs prob.Even I also faced th e sane problem.=0A=0A

Back